Breast Feeding vs. Bottle Feeding?

Im 35 weeks 3 days, and I can't decide if I want to bottle feed or breast feed, I know that breast milk is better for babies then formula, but I saw my brother's girlfriend struggle to breast feed her son, she did fine with the 1st baby, but her 2 nd didn't like to latch on and stuff, so she had a very hard time, and I really don't want to go though that, and struggle so much. My cousin also had a hard time breast feeding her son. I was not breast feed, neither was my brother, so it is really hard for me to decide. What do you think? Did you breast feed or bottle feed? If you tried breast feeding and ended up bottle feeding, or if you breast fed 1 baby but not the other, which would you recommend?

Best Answer

y not both? i did both. . .

u can give him breast milk in a bottle. i did this til i lost my milk (do to stress)

i pumped it ahead of time and kept it in the fridge til he was due. and if u want the closeness like u would when breast feeding then just hold him to bare skin while giving him the bottle.

this is a way daddy's can bond to. . . .take his shirt off and hold the baby to his chest while feeding.

you just have to make sure you pump on a schedule like everytime he feeds. and dont just pump what you need pump as muc as you can get you can store it in a freezer in these freezer bags for up to 6 months.

http://www.breastfeedinganywhere.com/storing-breas...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/182-9628372-8...

(this was the pump i had, just a random google search for it i got mine at walmart)

http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?...

http://www.epinions.com/review/Gerber_Seal_N_Go_Br...

i googled all these so you had an idea.

this is added a day or two later:

just want to make it clear when i say both i mean breast milk thru bottle.

i see people are disliking when the baby will still get all the healthy stuff from the breast milk and if you ever run into problems in the future like milk drying up when u want to continue u can have a stash built up hopefully by then. and it allows daddy to bond to. also teeth hurt after a while. build up a stash so that if something comes up where you cant feed from your breast then the milk is still there. and the stash helps so if something happens to you someone else can still feed them your milk. i also found pumping often made my breast full enough to store three times the amount he would eat. tho i wasnt smart and didnt pump til i ran out, but pumped pnly enough to fill a bottle (only one of my breasts produced properly the other wouldnt even with lactation consultants, and my son wouldnt latch)

I tried breast feeding, but struggled so gave up. I really really wish I had persevered. If the situation had been different I know I would have gone on longer (4 days after I had my daughter I had to move in wiith my inlaws making it more uncomfortable). My daughter was breast fed for 4 days, then expressed for 2 weeks finally switching to formula.

I would recomend at the very least you try to breast feed, even if it is for a few days, you never know you might be one of those lucky mums where it comes easy, nothing bad can come from giving it a try, I know I'll try again with my next baby.

Have some bottles ready and a tin of formula in the cupboard just in case, but do give it a go :)

Good Luck

I don't think you have to decide early. I think that every woman should at least try to breastfeed for the first few weeks. It is just healthier for your child. Some women find it easy, but many find it difficult at first. I think you should go into it with an open mind. It may be difficult for you the first few days, but don't give up. Once you get the hang of it it really is easy and it is a great opportunity to bond with your child in this way. Plus the breast milk is free and you don't have to get up in the middle of the night to prepare it. But if it doesn't work out for you don't beat yourself up. It is still possible to bond and have a healthy child if you bottle feed. I think it is sad when women don't even give it a try. Why would you not want to do what is best for your child? I say give it a try. And if it is difficult at first talk to a lactation consultant before you just give up. You will really be glad that you did it. I breastfed both of my kids. One I was only able to breastfeed for 7 weeks (she had some problems) and the other I breastfed for 14 months.

Breast milk is the babies best first food, just try it and if you find it's too hard than switch to formula. If breast feeding isn't for you than you can't say that you've never tried it. Breastfeeding is very frustrating, it takes a lot of time and effort but there's a lot of health benefits behind it for both you and the baby.

Here is my experience: I gave birth by c-section on May 25. I had my heart 100% set on breastfeeding not matter what the cost. My little guy was NOT having it. I thought it was because my milk was taking awhile to come in (6 days to be exact!). I kept trying anyway. We tried supplementing with the little hose thing (SNS) that attaches to the nipple since my milk was taking so long, but he would just cry. He had lost so much weight by the time we were supposed to go home because he had not eaten. We were in the hospital for 3 days and on the 3rd day I had to give him a bottle because he truly needed the nourishment. They were threatening to keep him the hospital due to him losing so much weight. Anyway, I tried for another 4 weeks to get him to latch on and it never happened. I pumped that whole time until my milk dried up. It was a heartbreaking experience for me because I was so set on breastfeeding. Even still, I say try to breastfeed. Every baby is different and some latch on from the get-go with no problems, others will never latch on and some just need a little time to figure things out. And if you decide to go with formula, your baby will still grow to be healthy and smart. Everything will work out no matter what you decide. Good luck!

Try breastfeeding. Everyone's experience is different. You cannot base your decision on it being hard or not. Sure, breastfeeding can be difficult, but so can bottle feeding. You have to have clean bottles at hand, and formula, formula is expensive. Breastfeeding is free and always available as long a mom is. it's easy to pop it out where ever you need. I've breastfed in restaurants, malls, people's houses, etc.

My son has been on bottles and the breast for his whole life because he had latching issues. However, I definitely prefer breastfeeding. It's free and convenient. It's also much better for baby.

After you have your baby, try breastfeeding... Make sure to take full advantage of the lactation consultants in the hospital to check your latch and just generally give you support.

I can't really recommend one or the other for you, I've done both but it's such a different experience for everyone that you'll only really know if it's for you once you do it... You don't have to set your mind to it, you just have to try... My cousin had her baby and immediately put him to breast and they've had NO troubles whatsoever with breastfeeding. There's a chance it could go that way for you...

It hurts at first, but that only lasts 2 weeks or so.. .and than goes away...

I formula fed my first son, and breastfed (And formula fed/feed) my twins sporadically. (Due to meds I was on)

Source(s): 8 yo son and 12 month old twins.
  • Ellen

I am an International Board certified Lactation Consultant and have been helping women breastfeed for over 20 years, so I am going to encourage you to breastfeed.

First, see if you can find a class or someone to give you accurate information on babies and breastfeeding. Sometimes you can find this in a hospital or doctor's office.

Second, ask that your baby be placed on your chest skin to skin immediately after the birth (while still in the delivery room) so that you both can try breastfeeding immediately. Studies show that mothers and babies who do this have more success with breastfeeding and breastfeed longer than those who don't.

Keep your baby in the room with you as much as you can, and continue to hold the baby skin to skin, chest to chest for a good part of each day. If the baby starts to nuzzle your shoulder and squirm around, help her/him find the breast. Ask your nurse to help you if you need to.

Feed your baby about 8-12 or more time in 24 hours. As your baby takes milk, your body will want to make more, so that is how you develop a good supply for your baby. It is recommended not to give the baby bottles, pacifiers, or to pump in the first 3-5 weeks (unless there is a medical necessity), until the baby is feeding well and you have a good milk supply. Remember that you cannot overfeed a breastfeeding baby, and that at birth, the baby's stomach only holds about a teaspoon at a time.

If you need help, ask for it, and if that person can't help you, find someone who can. Locate a local La Leche League or mother's group before you have the baby so you will know who to call if you need help.

Babies who are not breastfed develop infections and illnesses much more frequently than those who are. They are more likely to have asthma and allergies. The are more likely to be obese and have dental problems such as cavities and need for orthodontics. They are at a higher risk for Sudden nfant Death Syndrome.

Mothers who do not breastfeed are more likely to have metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes high blood pressure and osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis as they age. They are more likely to have cancers of the breast and female organs. So breastfeeding helps to keep babies and mothers in optimal health.

You will struggle a lot just having a new baby. But if you can breastfeed, you will spend a lot less time and money on feeding, and both of you will be far healthier for it.

Source(s): IBCLC and mother's group leader 20+ years, and mother to three grown, healthy breastfed children

I have a friend, who stopped breastfeeding her 1st child at 3 weeks. The longest her mother and maternal grandmother did it was less than a week, and marveled that my friend did it for 'so long'. My friend's daughter was born in 1988, and she said that out of the Mums who started breastfeeding in hospital when she was there; she was the only one still doing it on discharge.

All three generations had the same problem: BAD ADVICE from those who they believed were EXPERTS, and bad hospital management. [Some might say SABOTAGE] The grandmother and mother had their babies in hospitals where the rule was that babies stayed in the nursery until 'feeding' time, which was every four hours, and sugar-water given for the first feed.

By the time my friend had her 1st child, rooming in was the norm. Mums were now told to feed on demand. On the other hand, they were told to time how long the baby was on each breast. [Goodness knows how women managed before clocks were invented.] and given other bad advice.

My friend stopped at 3 weeks, because of an abscess on one breast, and bad advice from her doctor and health visitor. She felt guilty when she found she could have breastfed longer: but I told her she should feel angry at being let down.

She started going to LA LECHE LEAGUE meetings, which I recommend you do. Her mother and grandmother tried to discourage her from breastfeeding baby 2 [a boy] because of her problems the first time. Her husband encouraged her, not only because of how she felt, but because he remembered the problems they had with formula feeding.

Again, it was not straight-forward to start with, but armed with accurate information it got better. I told her "You know you've succeeded, when your family ask. "When are you going to stop?" My friend breastfed both of her sons, until they decided to stop.

ive done both breast and formula ok yeah the breastfeeding isnt easy but my 3 children are happy healthy adults independant etc etc as long as you are happy and the baby is then however you feed him/her dosent matter to anyone apart from you his mum if you do struggle with breastfeeding nip it in the bud and switch to formula it saves any heartache feeling guilty depresssion stress and guess what you dont have to be on permanent standbye breasts at the ready 24 hrs a day seven days a week other people can feed the baby whilst you do things for you