? asked in TravelSwitzerlandOther - Switzerland · 1 decade ago

best places to go in switzerland?

im traveling all across europe and Switzerland is my man attraction, i would love to have any travel tips in switzerland, prices for a week and a half of being thee, is it expensive to travel there? things to watch out for? etc please share (:

Favorite Answer

Switzerland is a great country to visit. Unfortunately, Switzerland can be very expensive. There are a few things that you can do, which will decrease your costs drastically though. First, don't eat in restaurants. Sure, every other day or so, sit down and eat in a restaurant. But really, they charge you for everything (even tap water) and it's just ridiculous. Meals in a restaurant go from about 20 CHF (which is equal to $20). Second, buy a Swiss Rail ticket. This ticket would give you unlimited travel (you can get it for up to two weeks, I think. but check out www.sbb.ch) which saves you loads and loads of money.

I would recommend renting one place for your entire stay, instead of going from hotel to hotel and doing the bag drag. Pick one of the larger cities, such as Zurich, find a good longer rental (not a hotel exactly) and just rent that for your entire stay. From there, with your Swiss Ticket, you can plan days from there. Switzerland is such a small country, that the farthest you can really travel in one direction, while still remaining in the country, from Zurich, is around 3-4 hours.

The places that I would recommend visiting(of course, this depends on what you want to see): Zurich, Lausanne, Geneva, Appenzell, Basel, Luscerne(Luzern), Bellinzona, and Bern. I could give you some littler towns/villages that are nice, but these are the main cities that I would recommend.

Zurich- Has everything. Great shopping, tons of different activities, museums, etc. The main train station is really nice, not to mention the transportation around the city (including trams, buses, and boats) is really nice and well organized. Make sure to check out the "altstadt" or old town.

Bellinzona- In the Italian part, with an amazing train ride through the Alps and the Gotthard pass. Pay attention, because you'll notice how the train loops through the mountain. In Bellinzona itself, there are many cute little Italian cafes and an amazing castle up on a hill. Free of charge, the castle is very open and you can take your time wandering around it (it's mostly outdoors with lots of grass). If you have time, head on down to Lugano, and take the Funicular down to the lake. A lot of great shopping, cafes, and everything. A gorgeous town.

One place that you should most definitely AVOID is Grinderwald and the Matterhorn. Both are absolute tourist traps, and very expensive because of that. If you want to see the Alps, view them from the train to Bellinzona, or go to Glarus. As for the Matterhorn, just don't do it. Much, much too touristy. I've been there, done that, and even though it was really pretty, the likelihood of it being perfect weather (like when I was there) is very slim to none. Plus, the train ticket up one of the neighboring mountains (to get the best view), costs around $60. Per person.

I would recommend Zurich the most. It's a gorgeous city with so much to see and do. Take your time and enjoy your trip, though!

Source(s): www.sbb.ch My own personal knowledge and experiences.

Try Montreux, Luzern, Interlaken and Gstaad.

PS yes, it is very expensive and avoid train stations at night in cities like Geneva, Zurich and Basel as they are infested with heroin addicts.

Some cities, countryside etc.