EMERGENCY: How to help a cat urinate with a urinary tract infection?

Its almost 4am in cali fight now, and my cat has a urinary tract infection. I noticed it at around 7pm the night before that he has been suffering. He cannot urinate and was wondering is there any way to help him urinate. Before he would urinate small drops, but has now stopped all together? What should I do considering this is the third time this has happened, the treatment is VERY expensive, and few vets are open now? From his past experience he would be able to withstand several hours, and has NOT YET been suffering the same EXTREME case as our last experiences. Please help, and thank you...

I understand. But is there anything i can do PERSONALY to help his to urinate? During this time, and though it hurts my to say, I cannot bring my cat to the vet. Thus so, is there anything i can do to help?

Also I am sorry to hear about you cat...

Favorite Answer

You should know from previoous experience that ONLY A VET CAN HELP HIM.

If he is not urinating, within one to two days you can kiss your kitty goodbye since the kidneys shut down and that's fatal. I cannot believe people to be this irresponsible - hand him in at the Humane Shelter or he will die, and that is blood on your hands, since they will still be able to save his life. HIS LIFE, understand, is going to END while you sit counting out how much you are not willing to spend on it.

Please do not have another living animal under your care until you can fulfil your legal obligation to take it to the vet when it needs it.

Should he by some small miracle make it, stop feeding him dry foods, that's half the pronblem - tinned ONLY.

I wish your kitty could drink some cranberry juice. I know at least for humans, UTI's are not fatal. I have had serveral UTI's and after I peed it hurt in sucha weird way. That is probably what your kitty is going through. It is not a severe pain, it is more of an uncomfortable pain, and the pain can last a few hours after urinating. Your cat might try to pee elsewhere because he associates the litter box with pain. In my opinion, I would let the cat pee anywhere he wants at this point. Who cares if you need to clean up afterwards. Is your kitty eating and drinking normally? (Especially drinking) If so, I do not think your kitty has a serious problem. If your kitty does not eat or drink for more than 24 hours you should be concerned. My cat just passed yesterday, for a much more serious problem. It breaks my heart that not everyone can afford to bring their pets to the vet when needed and I am planning on making a donation based charity for people who cannot afford their vet bills. I will start this on the my kitty's twitter @babaloney. I am sorry I do not have any advice for your direct problem. However, when my kitty got sick late at night, I called the emergency 24 hour vet. Let them know your situation and ask them if there is anything you can do at home and when you should be concerned. They will be able to tell you at least something free of charge.

There is no way for you to make your cat urinate! If you can't take your cat to the vet he will only get worse. He could be blocked and he is in a lot of pain that is why he won't go to the litter box. You do not have the equipment or the knowledge to insert a tube and drain his bladder, only a vet can do that. You can try to get him to drink more water but at this point he needs a vet and antibiotics to cure the infection. You don't get your cat to the vet it could mean a bigger vet bill or even death.

R P CAT

Urinary tract infections are very serious, and can very quickly become fatal. You need to make sure that your cat has plenty of water to drink and get it to a vet ASAP, I cannot stress that enough. Your cat is probably in a great deal of pain right now so do whatever you can to get it seen to...

Edit: As someone has mentioned below, there really isn't anything to help your cat go for a wee... when we went to the vets with mine he squeezed her tummy and her bladder ruptured, so please please don't try to do anything yourself. Unfortunately the only thing is to get him to a vet as soon as you can.

Source(s): My cat died in July because of bladder problems

dont make excuses that you cannot take your cat to a vet, all vets have emergency out of hours call, do the right thing and stop being a poor owner

• Ken S

This could be a blockage and there is nothing you can do personally. What you can do to stop this from happening again is to feed proper food for the species That means NO DRY FOOD