Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Fellow Americans: why don't we pull out our troops from Afghanistan, & stop being involved with Pakistan?

Our interests & Pakistan's interests conflict in Afghanistan. We don't want Taliban rule in Afghanistan, Pakistan want it. That's an indisputable conflict of interests. Pakistan knows Afghanistan in & out, & practically considers it as its backyard. We need Pakistan to succeed (remove Taliban) in Afghanistan, but we know that will never happen because Pakistan won't allow it. & invading Pakistan is NOT a good idea, they are not Afghanistan & Iraq in anyway, & we can't even control Afghanistan.

Starting a war inside Pakistan might would see us getting squeezed in b/w by the Pak army & Taliban. They'll cut off our routes, & being squeezed we won't stand a chance. They're also draining our economy. We actually depend much more on them than vice versa, which is why they are calling the shots & making us look like fools.

Favorite Answer

The truth?

The Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline (TAP or TAPI). The original project started in March 1995 when an inaugural memorandum of understanding between the governments of Turkmenistan and Pakistan for a pipeline project was signed. In August 1996, the Central Asia Gas Pipeline, Ltd. (CentGas) consortium for construction of a pipeline, led by U.S. oil company, Unocal was formed. On 27 October 1997, CentGas was incorporated in formal signing ceremonies in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan by several international oil companies along with the Government of Turkmenistan. In January 1998, the Taliban, selecting CentGas over Argentinian competitor Bridas Corporation, signed an agreement that allowed the proposed project to proceed. In June 1998, Russian Gazprom relinquished its 10% stake in the project. Unocal withdrew from the consortium on 8 December 1998.

Now enter into war to make this happen. As the Taliban no longer agrees with the contract terms.

The new deal on the pipeline was signed on 27 December 2002 by the leaders of Turkmenistan, Afghanistan and Pakistan.[4] In 2005, the Asian Development Bank submitted the final version of a feasibility study designed by British company Penspen. ‘Since the US-led offensive that ousted the Taliban from power,’ reported Forbes in 2005, "the project has been revived and drawn strong US support" as it would allow the Central Asian republics to export energy to Western markets "without relying on Russian routes". Then-US Ambassador to Turkmenistan Ann Jacobsen noted that: "We are seriously looking at the project, and it is quite possible that American companies will join it."[5] Due to increasing instability, the project has essentially stalled; construction of the Turkmen part was supposed to start in 2006, but the overall feasibility is questionable since the southern part of the Afghan section runs through territory which continues to be under de facto Taliban control.[5]

Fighting has shifted to Southwest Afghanistan, and Nortwest Pakistan as the Taliban attempts to sabotage the attempts to bring the pipeline down from the Caspian sea.

Note: Additional Port construction $$$ in Pakistan for logistics provided by Chinese.

Gwadar (Urdu: گوادر) is located on the southwestern coast of Pakistan, on the Arabian Sea. It is strategically located between three increasingly important regions: the oil-rich Middle East, heavily populated South Asia and the economically emerging and resource-laden region of Central Asia. The Gwadar Port was built on a turnkey basis by China. Opened in spring 2007 by then Pakistani military ruler General Pervez Musharraf, in the presence of Chinese Communications Minister Li Shenglin, Gwadar Port is now being expanded into a naval base with Chinese technical and financial assistance. Gwadar Port became operational in 2008, with the first ship to dock bringing 52000 tonnes of wheat from Canada. Minister of Ports and Shipping Sardar Nabil Ahmed Khan Gabol officially inaugurated the port on 21 December 2008.[2]. China has acknowledged that Gwadar’s strategic value is no less than that of the Karakoram Highway, which helped cement the China-Pakistan relationship. Beijing is also interested in turning it into an energy-transport hub by building an oil pipeline from Gwadar into Chinese-ruled Xinjiang. The planned pipeline will carry crude oil sourced from Arab and African states. Such transport by pipeline will cut freight costs and also help insulate the Chinese imports from interdiction by hostile naval forces in case of any major war.

Commercially, it is hoped that the Gwadar Port would generate billions of dollars in revenues and create at least two million jobs.[3] In 2007, the government of Pakistan handed over port operations to PSA Singapore for 25 years, and gave it the status of a Tax Free Port for the following 40 years. The main investors in the project are Pakistani Government and People's Republic of China. China's plan to be engaged in many places along oil and gas roads is evident.[4]

And lastly the blockade of the Suez canal by Somali pirates causes major difficulty in oil and natural gas transportation through the Med, and forces tankers to go the expensive route around the tip of Africa.

If you want to choose from 100 different cereal types in the grocery store, and have cold AC in your home, you must manipulate the economies of other countries to ensure that your country remains the economic powerhouse. Walk on the backs of other countries so that your bananas are cheap, and ensure the shoes you are wearing aren't manufactured under "Union rules"(I promise that).

You're welcome, enjoy those happy meals. (from Afghanistan)

• Frank

pakistan is a nuclear country that is on the brink of war with india and china two other nuclear countries over the kashistan region. our presence is to keep an eye on them. as for afghanistan the Pakistani army and int are supporting and supplying the taliban. no one has ever lasted in afghanistan in human history. we will eventually pull out with our tail between our legs like the Huns, and Soviets before us. but of course like vietnam we will call it a victory

Source(s): 4yr army enlisted 21 yr naval officer
  • Wayne

Pakistan is a nuclear country on the brink of war with India and China, two other nuclear countries, over continued territorial, religious and military disputes. The USA doesn't want to get caught in the crossfire.

I pay for most of my "in-person" stuff in cash, partly because back when I started to do this is kept me on budget better (I couldn't spend it if I didn't have the cash in my wallet). It's just far to easy to chalk up a huge credit card bill without realizing it (all those coffees add up fast when you aren't paying attention). I also get very annoyed when someone is buying a candy bar or small bag of crisps and they are paying with their credit card--slows things down significantly. But I do know a whole lot of people who never carry cash anymore. And my local supermarket always asks "are you paying by debit card or credit card?" and I go "I'm paying cash!" and it usually takes the check out clerk a second to wrap his/her head around that idea. We do have taxis here that will only take cash (the cab drivers have to pay for the fees the credit card company charges for the use of their card so many drivers won't take credit cards) and I see (generally young) people climb in a cab, then climb back out because they never carry any cash. I personally believe in always carrying a little cash.

• Scott

I don't know, maybe you could ask our all knowing esteemed leaders this question? but then again maybe not because they are in recess, when all the people that WORK for a living are continuing to pay their salary that they vote on to pass giving them selves raises when we the people working are paying that salary and they make ALOT more than the miniume wage that pays their paycheck from all the others that pay taxes.... let me ask you this... what are your chances of Asking this question to our Esteemed President? Hes the Commander In Chief (or suppost to be)

I have personally been out there and I could tell you from the **** that goes on out there we are years from ever pulling troops out. Pakistan is suspected of harboring known terrorist groups yet they deny it and claim to support us. I won't go into detail but I will say from experience that it is a long time before anything changes

Pakistan has stabbed the USA in the back.

In my opinion, USA can not win in Afghanistan without invading Pakistan and capturing all the Tribal areas.

USA has the strength to do this - so why not bite the bullet?

Today the overall picture is grim for the future of militarist imperialism. The U.S. will crumble within a few years. What are the actual figures ? 735 US bases in 130 countries ? Defense contractors hmmm...I hear that even the contractors are subject to the Hague...

My 19 year old daughter (who is gorgeous, brilliant, and to damn young!) signed up for the Navy in June of 09. She was deployed in January didn't get back until July and has just informed me she is shipping out again in 5 months! Didn't the president inform us what like 2 weeks ago he was bringing all the troops home! LIAR!! I am sorry but I think America needs to mind its own business sometimes we are not the "policemen of the world."

• Rachel

Wow....you actualy don't know the US govs agenda......

There are too many mineral deposits up for graps, the US wont rest until it installs their own government & can secure all that wealth, in oil AND minerals.

In 1969 the US gov killed the 1st freely elected president of the Congo, Patrice Lumumba, who was elected by the citizens after hundreds of years of corrupt Belgian rule.

His thinking was: each diamond can pay a teachers salary for a year. He was going to improve the ecomomy. The US painted him as cannibalistic communist & killed him......(communists being the boogyman of the day, like muslims are now).

No way will the US pull out until they get what they came for.

Source(s): "Democracy we bring it to you in force what do you mean ironic?"