Illinois Unemployment Please Help!?

I live in Illinois and I am on unemployment. I ended my regular benefits in July and got a 20 week extension ending in mid-December. My question is will I receive additional benefits after this? I have read the IDES website and don't understand it.

• CarolO
    Favorite Answer

Under the current rules, you will not be eligible for further benefits. In July of this year, Congress passed legislation which will not allow you to file for new extensions after November 30, 2010. You will be allowed to finish out the Tier you are on, but not file for any new ones.

In your situation, you are currently on Tier I which will end after the November 30 cut-off date, so that will be the end of your benefits.

It's possible that if the unemployment rate is still high next month, Congress may push back that November 30 deadline until sometime next year, but don't bet your rent on that -- especially if the Republicans win the House and/or Senate after the upcoming elections.

• ?

It´s unclear. There are a lot of people in the same situation and you´ll never know for a month or two after each extension ends. In Florida my friends benefits ended early with out warning.