Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 10 years ago

Can a guinea Pig eat lettuce?

I've read that guinea pigs can eat lettuce just not the ice burg kind and then i read that they cant eat any lettuce at all .. :/ my piggy loves green leaf lettuce! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME :(

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, the moral of the story is that there is a lot of garbage that passes it self off as authoritative information to be found on the internet! Anyone can post anything they want and claim that it is true, people believe it because they see it in writing, and pass it on. Quite honestly, it makes an experienced breeder like me shake my head in disbelief to read the misinformation out there.

The truth is that guinea pigs can eat all types of lettuce in moderation, even iceberg. Iceberg is mostly water and isn't really nutritious but it isn't harmful either. Just think of it as water masquerading as a vegetable and you will be fine. In general, the darker green the lettuce, the more nutritious it is. Other dark leafy greens like kale are even better than lettuce. Any green food fed to excess can cause diarrhea and cause them to fill up on goodies without eating enough pellets and hay so you do need to feed greens in moderation (a cup or so a day is plenty). Leafy greens are much better than sugary stuff like fruit and carrots but these make nice treats if restricted to small amounts a few times a week.

Source(s): 40+ years raising and showing guinea pigs
  • 10 years ago

Lettuce is GREAT for them to eat. Iceburg is the only lettuce that should not be fed to them, it isn't really lettuce, and can give them diarrhea. They can eat Romaine, Red Leaf, Radicchio, Green Leaf, Endive, and most other dark leaf lettuces.

Mine eat all of the above throughout the week. Remember variety is they key to a healthy guinea pig.

These are the vegetables your guinea piggies can eat for more variety. http://www.guinealynx.info/diet_vegs.html

• Here is a list of some of the fruits and vegetables that guinea pigs particularly love and that give them the best nutritional benefits. Fruits are high in sugar so it's best to view them more as treats, and avoid any sudden major changes in diet until you know how your guinea pig's tummy reacts to things:

* Red Pepper (or green/yellow pepper. Red has the highest vitamin C concentration)

* Carrots - both the root and the green tops are perfectly safe for your guinea pig.

* Apples - just make sure they don't have any seeds.

* Oranges

* Leafy greens like red lettuce, romaine, or parsley (be sure to feed leafy vegetables in moderation to avoid diarrhea)

* Cucumbers

* Broccoli (in moderation since it can be gassy and cause a gas pain)

* Green beans

* Grapes

* Bananas

* Dandelion Greens

* strawberries (in moderation)

* oranges or clementines. A helpful way to feed these to your piggie if they're being picky is to scoop out some pulp from half an orange and leave some in it so they can lick it without needing to chew on it if they're not diggin' the texture.

* spinach

* cherry tomatoes in moderation

* cilantro

* dandelion greens

Foods to NEVER feed your Guinea Pig, EVER!

what not to feed your guinea pig, no matter how good it may taste to you.

While guinea pigs do enjoy a variety of flavors and types of fruits and vegetables, there are some foods that you should never feed to your guinea pig. If there is an item that isn't on this list or the one above and you're not sure, it's best not to feed it to your piggie until you can get verification from a vet. The good foods list isn't comprehensive, so you may find some other online resources with more exhaustive lists.

The following is a list of food items to NEVER feed to your guinea pig.

* Iceberg lettuce

* Any type of cabbage

* Cauliflower

* Potato peelings

* Raw beans (this doesn't mean green beans. This means things like raw, hard kidney beans, split peas, pinto beans, etc.)

* Shelled nuts or seeds, particularly things like sunflower seeds or 'bird seed' type mixes.

* Rhubarb

* Meat or fish

* Dairy Products - while many stores will offer 'yogurt drops' and other 'treats', dairy is not healthy to feed your guinea pig and can actually cause problems. Feed natural treats like veggies instead of store brand treats. It's less expensive and your piggie will be much happier.

* Chocolate or other caffeine-containing products.

* Alcohol

* Cookies/bread*

*you can feed a small piece of cereal like a cheerio from time to time as a treat, but they will likely not even like it, so it's best to just avoid this altogether!

* hamster food, gerbil food, rabbit food, or any other non-guinea pig food. Often these contain seeds, which are a big no-no, but they also have a different balance of vitamins and minerals which aren't suited for a guinea pig's dietary needs.

* corn kernels or popcorn

* sugary foods like donuts, candy, or soda

* Ice cream.

* Any processed or fried foods that you would eat, including potato chips/nachos or french fries.

* Cheese

* anything spicy. jalapeno peppers, anything with cinnamon, etc. Even with regular bell peppers (which guinea pigs LOVE), be sure to get rid of all of the seeds.

Source(s): http://www.squidoo.com/guinea-pig-care-4 Sorrry its soo long!
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

I feed my guinea pig all kinds of lettuce. His favorite is little gem. So long as you steer clear of the ice burg, your little one is fine.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Fruits are the immediate method to obtain vitamins, proteins, and electrolytes, so over body can certainly absorb them. Found in the case of plant some of the straight eatable but some need to cooked well for enhance their taste.

• 4 years ago

Fruits have seeds; "vegetable" is a non-scientific word for cultivated edibles

• 10 years ago

There is no nutritional value in lettuce. Dark leafy greens such as mustard or dandelion greens are good. The best thing to feed them is timothy hay and timothy pellets. Always supplement their diet with extra vitamin C....about 25mg per day.

Source(s): CVT, long time owner/breeder
  • 10 years ago

They can eat Romaine lettuce but, not Iceberg lettuce.

• 10 years ago

Yes, its a thing they would find in the wild and is very tasty and very good for them. If have to much it can cause problems, but every other day or a little bit each day with the normal diet would be okay.

• YES They're supposed to, just NO ICEBERG. All that is, is water.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.