My Chase Bank debit card#and pin#were hacked.I am out$1000.ChaseBank will NOT pay me back.What should I do?

Details: I had and still have possession of my ATM card. On the 27th and 28th of last month 2 separate ATM withdrawals of $500 each were taken out of my account by hackers. On the 28th when I tried to use my card at a local merchant it was declined. Almost simultaneously I received a voicemail from Chasebank fraud division. I returned their call immediately and answered all their questions. They said my $1000 would TEMPORARILY be put back into my account pending their investigation. 5 HOURS later I was informed by ChaseBank fraud department that they had concluded their investigation AND THEY WERE NOT GOING TO REIMBURSE ME THE $1000 THAT WAS S T O L E N FROM MY ACCOUNT!!!

Why? Their 2 reasons: 1.) the 2 withdrawals were made in the same geograhical area in which I live. 2). there were no bad pin tries.

Let me explain both their reasons for deciding NOT to refund me the money STOLEN from MY account:

1.) I live in San Diego County. 1 of the withdrawals was made in Riverside County and the was done in Los Angeles County. Both of these locations are approximately 100 miles away from where I live and even further away from where I work.

2.) "No bad pin tries" means that these thieves entered my correct pin number on their 1st attempt.

So basically ChaseBank has ATM's that are vulnerable to being hacked. And I am now being forced to PROVE I DIDN'T take out my own money.

ChaseBank fraud division has decided that I lied to them right? I mean if they believed what I told them they would have refunded me my money. When I asked the ChaseBank fraud division if we could view the video tape footage showing both these withdrawals taking place their response was their investigation is closed and if I want to see the video tape I'll need to subpoena them.

SO WHAT DO I DO NOW??????

Favorite Answer

Your problem is the EVIDENCE supports the theory that YOU made the withdraws, or GAVE your pin number to whoever took the money. If either of those are true, YOU are responsible, not Chase. The ATM WAS NOT hacked. YOU were. If you choose to initiate a lawsuit, which is necessary to issue a subpoena, you will still have to PROVE the theft is not YOUR fault to recover from anyone other than the actual thief.

police. you file a complaint for the thefts. the police will get the photos from the ATM cameras and look to see if the person taking the money is you. if it isn't, that's the evidence you need to convince Chase that it wasn't you.

now -- if it wasn't you, how did the thieves get your ATM number, PIN, and card??

1. do NOT use your debit card online -- ever.

2. use it only at well known merchants.

3. watch out for the sorts of ATM data theft devices the police will explain to you

***

btw, if it was your girlfriend or someone you'd 'lent' the card to, you will be charged with filing a false police report.

Source(s): retired banker

Chase Atm Fraud

get a lawyer and sue the pants of off chase bank what they are doing is so very wrong. conect the fed goverment on this item also have the dept of commerence check this out too and by all means frezze you credit reports you my friend is a victim of identy theif bigtime.

Plenty of great answers already for this

Never really thought about this

• wg0z

they told you what to do. get a subpoena.

maybe that is right