?
Lv 4
? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Is this really someone's first sentence?

The March by E.L. Doctorow

"At five in the morning someone banging on the door and shouting, her husband, John, leaping out of bed, grabbing his rifle, and Roscoe at the same time roused from the back-house, his bare feet pounding: Mattie hurriedly pulled on her robe, her mind prepared for the alarm of war, but heart stricken that it would finally have come, and down the stairs she flew to see through the open door in the lamplight, at the steps of the portico, the two horses, steam rising from their flanks, their heads lifting, their eyes wild, the driver a young darkie with rounded shoulders, showing stolid patience even in this, and a woman standing in her carriage no one but her aunt Letitia Pettibone of McDonough, her elderly face drawn in anguish, her hair a strangled mess, this woman of such fine grooming, this dowager who practically ruled the season in Atlanta standing up in the equipage like some hag of doom, which indeed she would prove to be."

First sentence and I'm already running to the internet. Does that sentence even make sense?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a badly constructed sentence, but yeah it makes sense.

It's a 'grab you by the shoulders and shake you' kind of opener.

Basically the family is woken by this well to do family member from Atlanta, having climbed off a carriage after what sounds like a hectic race to their house, a woman normally of high standards and grooming, looking disheveled and panicked on their doorstep. John grabs his rifle because he's convinced, on waking, that war is upon them.

Make any more sense? LOL.

• 1 decade ago

Um.... No I don't think it makes sense because that should be the size of a paragraph not a whole sentence.

Source(s): Me, myself, and I.
  • 1 decade ago

oh **** thats one hek of a run on sentence lol

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.