Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

If I major in Film and Television production, what kind of job can I get?

I want to choose this as my major but I'm still not quite sure because I don't know exactly what kind of jobs one can do with that degree. Does anyone have any ideas and/or personal experiences?

Favorite Answer

Many Film/Television grads get occasional jobs dressed as Ronald McDonald, in clown suit and red rubber nose, entertaining kids at birthday parties.

They get bigger tips if they let the kids honk their red rubber nose.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): major film television production kind job get: https://shortly.im/RR4jF
  • Cait

Depending on the courses you take to fulfill the requirements, you could do just about anything in the world of television and filmmaking, from producing to directing to writing the scripts or doing cinematography. You can look forward to starting at the bottom, though, running cameras or working as a grip. If you get to take any audio production courses you could also get into the recording industry or radio doing any of a wide variety of jobs. You can also do documentaries or independent films, you could work for a company doing corporate media/multimedia, you could produce commercials or music videos, or you could get into editing trailers or movies or even short clips for broadcast news. There is a huge variety of things that you can do with the degree.

Here's the kicker, a lot of them don't require a degree. If you have the talent and abilities already you can do it straight out of high school. If you've never really made anything on your own, though, and you want to learn how, take the most basic class you can and decide from there. When I was choosing my major I took the popular introductory course the head of the department taught and then talked to him a few times before declaring it. I recommend talking to the professors to get an idea of the opportunities available to students in the department, the courses and requirements, etc. before you declare your major.

Should you declare it as your major, be prepared for long hours, a lot of work, and lots of frustration with technology. Be sure to do at least one internship before or immediately upon graduating, and network, network, network.

Source(s): I have a BA in Film and Digital Media

There are investment groups you can get into. I don't know the names of any offhand, but you could do a search for film investment group and I'm sure you'd turn up something. When I lived in California I knew someone who did this. She did pretty well.