Gotta ask -- What's up with all the negative feedback for LDS Family Services?

Okay, on the "vote for the worst in adoption" question, most of the votes were for LDS Family Services. I gotta ask why? What experience do you have with them? What have you read? What do you know? Why all the negative feedback? I ask because I am familiar with this group, I live in Utah. I have... show more Okay, on the "vote for the worst in adoption" question, most of the votes were for LDS Family Services. I gotta ask why? What experience do you have with them? What have you read? What do you know? Why all the negative feedback?

I ask because I am familiar with this group, I live in Utah. I have followed some of the negative press on adoption, especially specific to Utah and there's a lot! I know of at least two specific cases, one which is very public, where the fathers were trying to stop the adoption and LDS Family Services would not move forward with the adoptions when they found out about it. Another case where the mother came to Utah so she could deliver the baby and the adoption would be under Utah law -- LDS Family Services wouldn't let her go through them because they were concerned she was trying to bypass the system and hide something from the father. Isn't that what we want from an adoption agency?

Just wondering what everyone elses experiences are with them so I can decide if it's just word of mouth because they promote adoption (2nd to the couple marrying and raising the child together) or if there are valid issues going on.

Thanks in advance!
Update: ETA thanks for the answers so far! Especially those with first-hand experience -- very helpful! Annabelle -- I think you make a great point about lobbying for adoption laws in Utah. I agree that it's time for those to get a facelift. The "by Mormons for Mormons" thing -- I do know that only... show more ETA thanks for the answers so far! Especially those with first-hand experience -- very helpful!

Annabelle -- I think you make a great point about lobbying for adoption laws in Utah. I agree that it's time for those to get a facelift. The "by Mormons for Mormons" thing -- I do know that only members of the LDS church can adopt through them. The biological parents don't need to be LDS but all the adoptive couples are and even have to have a sign-off by their church leader to be approved. Interesting I thought.

Tish -- I totally get the racist thing, that's always been a question for me but I'm pretty sure no Haiti adoptions went through LDS Family Services. I think there were LDS families that adopted but if they did they used different agencies.

Pip -- The information you listed -- is that recently? Did you talk with these moms that had those experiences? I just ask because I think lately it's been different but didn't know if you have been hearing this now or earlier?