Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 10 years ago

Regarding the Rutgers University teen who was driven to suicide by his roommates who broadcast his sex life -?

on the web ...

Are you shocked at the hatred shown by these straight students who hounded this poor guy to his death?

What would be an appropriate punishment/prison term for this murder?

Favorite Answer

I am saddened by the parts of their brains that seem to have no "cause and effect" built into them, something that comes with experience.

I wonder if they even considered when they did this what might the repercussions be? What happens if we film a young girl being gang raped on our phones? What if we film a young man having a private moment with another young man?

What happens when we take away people's privacy and show their most intimate secrets. I think we become monsters, like the media, like bullies, like peeping toms.

I think these two students should be put on probation. They should be made to work with only young gay students and aid them in any way they can, they should form outreach programs to help young gay students and improve their lives. At night they can work on the suicide hot lines.

• Helen

you make it sound so bad, just because a teeneger IS having sex does not mean, 'oh they are teenegers therefore it will be unprotected sex and they will be doing it with everyone.' have you considered that the reason that teens want sex is because we are in a realationship with someone we love and we trust and feel comfortable enough to have sex. also i hope you realise when you say teeneger that includes people up to 19, now i don't know where you live but in Britain at 19 we can be married, have a child, a house, drive and drink alcohol, so why wouldn't we be having sex. If this were 500 years ago by the age i am now i would be married to a man at least twice my age with 3 or more children, our body's take longer to evolve than our culture, therefore our sexual feelings link back to this time, where as soon as girls got their period they would be married, so around 12 or 13. sorry this is such a rant, i just think you're not thinking about all the possibilities and reasons, you are only seeing the bad thing, of which, yes there are many, but there are good reasons to. and just because we are teenegers having sex does not mean we are having or wanting to have sex with everybody.

I am not shocked at all. After all, we live in the same society that bred the same kind of events such as the VA Tech and, Columbine shooting through bullying. Therefore, I have no reason to think and/or, be surprised it would be any different from state to state.

The only thing I'm shocked about is, that bullying has NOT been taken more seriously ever sense the Father of the poor little girl in Florida got bullied and, the Father lost his mind as a result. I am more disappointed in society and, the media than anything else that we allow bullying issues to get to this point over and over again.

Either bully victims will kill themselves or, go on a blind rage killing others to include other innocent people. I think it's so sad our Government can spend so much time and money to convince America to stop smoking but, put bullying issues in the shadows of everything else and, ignore it.

And in my opinion. Bullies who cause others to kill themselves and/or cause others to kill innocent people should be put to death. Maybe a law needs to be created for indirect murder.

Source(s): Hate always seems to breed more Hate and violence.

Remember the Jenny jones show, wherein the guest had a secret guest crush that happened to be his male neighbour?

The producers sprang this on the unsuspecting guest and he fact that the guest was so embarrassed by the whole 'it's a guy who has a crush on me" thing, led him to shoot and kill the crush shortly after the show.

as for these morons who posted personal stuff of their roommate, I'm not sure.

I would certainly get them for illegally broadcasting anothers personal stuff on the net, but who was to anticipate the man killing himself as a result.

It was most insensitive and azzholish what they did.

iIdon't know what the laws are about that.

I'm not shocked and It's horrible to be sure, but I don't think incarceration or torture or revenge is appropriate. I believe a lifetime of servitude would be. They should be forced to deal with surviving victims of bullies and their families and the families of victims who suffered the loss of a loved one due to suicide for years to come. they should be paraded from school to school and made to tell what a horrible thing they've done to any audience that will have them. the word atonement comes to mind. they should spend the rest of their lives doing community service, making amends.

And any school officials who didn't act on formal or informal complaints from the young man who killed himself should have the snot sued out of them.

I'm not shocked but I am angry. I've always said bullies need to get a more severe punishment. Something to set an example and strike fear in their heart so they will think twice before doing something so stupid and cruel. Something more severe. As things out now it's nowhere near severe enough.

I'm not shocked, but I am disgusted by their actions.

As another poster has already said they did not murder him.

I think an appropriate jail sentence would be 1 yr in jail and 1500 hrs community service.

Manslaughter? As in a punishment befitting manslaughter.

But I would imagine nothing will be done.

Bullies seem to always go unpunished.

No:I am not surprised because you should never underestimate the idiocy of most people. Events like this fill me with so much hate. The people who did this should be tortured in some drastic way.

I'm shocked and stunned by the rationality of That's What She Said's answer (well, at least the first part).

It's not like they pushed the kid off the bridge. The only real punishment they should get (legally) in maybe the max for illegally taping/invasion of privacy, what ever it is.

If that was somebody in my family, I would get a few very trusted friends, and find those kids, and make them disappear. Taking the law into one's hands isn't something most people are comfortable with, though.