Aren't british/ english words spelled better than American?

We should adopt their spelling of certain words like favourite, colour, neighbourhood, etc. I think that it looks better with a "u" in the words.

Favorite Answer

I'm stuck in my American ways of spelling these words. I don't think I could ever adapt to spelling it any differently. And I'm always annoyed by the non-American people who say the the English spelling is the CORRECT spelling. No, there are two ways to spell it depending on where you are.

I DO think we should adopt the SI metric system, though.

• Lauren

I agree with the defence thing, it makes more sense and the complexion thing too. When words end in se rather than ze in England it doesn't really bother me as sometimes people in England spell it the American way anyway. However I do think different words for the same thing is quite cool. Like in America a tap is called a faucet which is never said in England although the term elevator is used instead of lit occasionally.

Yes your right, Im english and the Americans think they can just steal our words and adapt them to suit themselves. (Not Americans personally)

And also, in all games and books and websites its american spellings and its just not right. Our language, if your gonna spell it, do it properly.

They catch your attention when you read them. Especially the reversed "er" endings as in theatre and centre. Aluminium is one of my favourites.

They look better, but you have to remember another letter to spell

No. They have way too many unnecessary letters.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...thumbs me down all you want but it's the truth. Must there be a silent letter in every word?

• Harvey5 years agoReport

An American here...

for some reason I can't say diarrhoea but I can say diarrhea.

I can say both anemia & anaemia though. Same for maneuver & manoeuvre.

• Yeah, they do look better.

Source(s): English

i dont care either way

• :)

Not really.

then i'd have to learn how to spell again, no thanks. (: