I_love_sports! asked in PetsRodents · 10 years ago

If you could no longer take care of your small animal, would you give it to this place?

The reason I am asking is b/c I really want to start up an animal rescue. I would rescue small animals (like guinea pigs, rabbits, gerbils, mice, hamsters, rats, birds, etc...) from people that can no longer take care of them. I have the experience (with a lot of animals of my own), and basically, I know I can do it. I would not take in any more than I can handle though. And I would start it up right now if I can convince my dad, lol :)

Anyways, I have seen a lot of people give up their pets that they can no longer take care of. And there's this one website I go on (called kijiji.com) where you can sell (or give away) anything locally, and A LOT of people are advertising their pets for free, and they just need them gone. So what I would do is take in the animals (but making sure the people know that I am a rescue), and I would basically take them in, make sure they are able to be adopted out, and then adopt them out :) Oh, and I would keep the owners that surrendered the pet to me know how their pet is doing, and when it is adopted out :)

Sooooo....haha, my question is:

If you had a small animal that you could no longer take care of (and besides giving it to a friend), would you either...

1.) Give it to a petstore or shelter

2.) Advertise it on a website/newspaper saying it needs a good home

3.) Give it to a rescue place (like I'm doing), guaranteed to find it a good home (without you waiting to find him a home yourself)

Please be honest, thank you!!

Favorite Answer

If I had to get rid of any of my small animals, I'd use a website or a newspaper as this would mean I would get to meet the person who would be taking them home so that I could also make a judgement as to whether my pet would be happy or not with their new owners.

If I couldn't take care of a pet any more I'd try and find someone who could or if the breeder had asked me to sign a contract that said return pet to them if I can't take care of them i would do that.

But if all else failed, as it normally does with small animals like rats and guinea pigs (since people think they are "gross" i don't know why they are so lovable!) I'd go right to a rescue shelter after i got to check it out personally. I would never just give up my animal to someone, no matter how desperate I was. I love my animals dearly and even if feeding them meant me starving so I could find the ideal place for them, that's how itd be.

If you are serious about starting up a rescue place check out this website, they have contact info and have done a GREAT job here in San Diego I am looking forward to adopting from them and giving another rattie a second chance.

http://www.weecompanions.com/

Also look into becoming a Non-profit that would get you donations and such and you'd also get discounts I don't know how the application process goes but look it up for sure!

Good luck and may what ever god you believe in bless you for having such a big heart if you ever want to bounce ideas off someone please email me I'd love to help.

theblackaceofspades@gmail.com

Source(s): Rat lover and owner for two years.

i could ought to declare, i could provide it to a shield, petstore, or buddy. this is because of the fact i do no longer understand how previous you're. i'm unlikely to offer it to a pair preson, (that i do no longer understand) that's uner 18. while you're over 18 then perhaps. Sorry, yet that I how i've got faith. you mustn't open up a rescue center.

i would give my rabbits to a rescue place like you are doing, because i would know that they are being taken care of and will have a new loving owner.

Source(s): rabbit owner

first i would try to find it a home myself then if i couldnt i would give it to a no kill shelter

Give it to someone who will love it.