Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

is it better for my rabbit on grass or concrete?

my rabbit is about 8-9months old. She has been on grass since we had her-her hutch is attatched to her run full time so she can go in & out. Recently though she has started digging big pits around the garden! I know its natural but its not my garden!! Was going to put her onto concrete & then have a run on grass which i can carry ehr to in the day time for abit of grass....& have her other run & hutch on concrete--when it rains however she just hops about in the grass,she loves being outdoors. Will it be ok for her on concrete when it rains as concrete will be wet. I dont know how ive worked this out-- but i think that wet grass in away is warmer then wet concrete although i sure not much difference apart from Mud on the grass...??

Just wana stop her digging! Would it be ok for her on concrete rain or shine?

yes she has a hutch that she can go in if it rains & a shelter in her run but for some reason she likes being in the rain hopping around. Its like she is free without actually being free. She has her hutch attached so she can go in the warm etc-- & has a 6-7x run so she can hop around & get fresh grass. She has been a spoilt bunny! =)

'Angel' bringing her inside isnt really an option. We dont have a big place & having her inside would be less space for her,plus we have a cat who she tries to bully so wouldnt be fair on him! She was inside but much prefers it outside in the more natural environment. SHe has been outside for the past few months & loves it so i dont want her to be taken away from this, just to be moved onto concrete where she can still have her space & fresh air.

Britney- i did think of this idea but read it isnt good as can hurt the rabbits feet.

• catx
    Favorite Answer

I have a similar issue in that I'm in a rented house at the moment so inside bunnies are not an option, the carpet is too chewable!

So mine are outside. Their hutch and main run (6x2x2 hutch and 6x4 run) is on concrete, they're just fine! And I use tarpauline/old shower curtains to keep the rain off. They have 24/7 access to their run as I know a predator would need wire cutters to get in! (FYI, a fox, and a rabbit, can chew through chicken wire, only ever use welded mesh!) My kids have another run (6x6) right next to their concrete run which is on grass, I built a little slidey door between the two so when I'm home I can just open that door and out they can hop! This run also has a gate in it so I can let them free range around the rest of the garden (supervised of course!)

I've caught mine happily sitting out at 1am on the concrete oblivious to temperature having a nap post stuffing themselves silly with hay.

If she is a digger you could always put a box/tray in there she can hop in and out of with a thick bed of straw for her to get that digging out of her system while she's on concrete!

Norty bunny!!

The hutch and run should be on concrete for 2 reasons : Stops bunny getting out and stops foxes and other predators getting in.

She should have supervised access to grass (supervised to protect her form predators) as she clearly loves it! I presume her hutch has a dry area for her to sleep in? If she doesn't like the rain, she can go in there.

The girls are the ones that dig the burrows in the wild, so it is only natural, as you say :)

Source(s): Moderator on Happy Hoppers Forum : http://happyhoppers.forumotion.co.uk/ Producer of HH You-tube: http://www.youtube.com/HappyHoppersForum

Rabbit Run Hutch

You should put wire on the bottom so they cant dig i did that for my rabbit and she try s to dig but nothing happens!so that would be a good idea and i doesn't take much to put wire on the bottom and it is a good idea??

• Angel

I dunno, i would jus bring her inside! then take her out in her run for a little while each day. But she'd be much happier inside with you.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/outdoors.html#s...

I would worry about my rabbit way to much being outside all the time. and she would miss her tv time lol. If you need any advice about bringing her inside u can message me. That site has a ton of info about spoiled house bunnies <3

Source(s): Owned by a spoiled house bunny for 5 years and counting.