Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 9 years ago

.45 ACP VS .40 Smith And Wesson?

Opinions, anyone?

• ?
    Best Answer

OK, but you've got to promise to write this backwards on your bathroom mirror in lipstick.

40 S&W -

1. The 40 S&W was invented as a solution to a problem that never existed. (And, no, it did NOT result as a consequence of the numerous mistakes - both tactical and ballistic - that originated in the infamous 1986 Miami/Homestead Shootout.

2. 40 caliber pistols are usually double-stacked and hold more ammunition.

3. 40 caliber are reported to be easier for some people to hold. (Though I don't know who?)

4. 40 caliber is more powerful than the 9mm rounds that failed so miserably in that April 11th gunbattle.

What really failed that day, however, wasn't the 9mm pistol being used, primarily, by Jerry Dove; instead it was the extremely poor choice of Winchester 115 grain (HP) Silvertip ammunition that the agents were carrying.

So, the way I see things: Life is strange; and, we have one of the lousiest 9mm rounds I've ever fired principally responsible for the impetus of law enforcement to adopt 40 S&W caliber. C'est la vie!

Now, for 45 ACP -

1. 45 ACP has less velocity and less energy than either 10mm or 40 S&W. However, the 45 ACP, importantly, has greater mass and cross-sectional density than either of the two former rounds.

2. Here's the really important part: 45 ACP is a relatively low pressure round that generally travels at a lower rate-of-speed. While it's true that either one of these cartridges is acceptable for self-defense by a moderately skilled CQB pistol shooter. It's the 45 ACP that has an inherent, 'gunfighting edge'.

3. The 45 ACP really comes into it's own and develops a significant tactical edge over other cartridges like 40 S&W, and 10mm (as well as the 357 Magnum) because:

The 45 ACP throws a large piece of lead - with very good mass and excellent cross-sectional density for a man-stopping round - out of the muzzle with the least possible disruption to the shooter's sight picture than any other full power combat pistol round.

4. Furthermore, because of, both, the heavier bullet as well as the low pressure recoil curve, most 45 ACP pistols are considerably easier to fire REPETITIVELY AND AT SPEED than any of the previously mentioned pistol cartridges.

5. Consequently, IT DOES NOT MATTER whether a 40 S&W holds more rounds. (In fact, if you're a typical pistolero you're going to need those extra rounds! If you can't find a 45 ACP pistol frame that fits you, well maybe gunfighting isn't for you; or, if ya got 'a do it, use a shotgun. Modern 9mm pistol ammunition is, for all practical intents and purposes, equivalent to 40 S&W.

6. 45 ACP FMJ pistol bullets are, unquestionably, superior in performance to any JHP pistol bullet that's ever been made; but, 21st Century Western politics steadfastly refuses to recognize this fact ANYWHERE except upon a modern battlefield.

Spare me the, 'shoot-the-neighbors' crap - OK! The neighbors can be shot with anything that's flying through the air. That's what all bullets - except, perhaps, copper frangibles - do. If you shoot a neighbor with a pistol don't blame it on the bullet; put the blame on, either, fate or the unskilled goofball shooter where it really belongs.

There! Does that answer this, 'old saw' once and for all for ya!

45 ACP.

History lesson. Back around the turn of last century, the US ARMY went from the 45 Colt Revolver to a 38 special revolver. Then they went to the Philippines and found out the 38 special was a terrible round. So they went to the 45 ACP 1911. Then after WW Two, as part of NATO, they had to go with a 9 mm as their next service gun. Since the 9 mm is nothing but a metric version of the 38 special, the US Army resisted for as long as they could but finally had to adopt a 9 mm.

All the police forces jumped on the 9 mm band wagon and learned a hard lesson. The 9 mm is a poor stopper too. So they went back to a bigger round. However, the cops did like having LOTS of ammo in one magazine so the gun companies did a compromise. They went with the 40 caliber Smith so they could get more rounds in the magazine. That round is quite a bit more powerful than the 9 mm but not quite up to the 45 ACP.

Want lots of rounds AND power? Go with a Springfield Armory XD 45 ACP. That way you got the more powerful round in a staggered magazine with lots of rounds.

PLUS....45 ACP can be bought surplus for far less cost than the 40 cal Smith. Plus it is a lot easier to reload the 45 ACP than the 40 caliber smith. There are a lot more bullet choices too.

James- I own and carry a Glock 22, (.40 S&W). The two yo-yo's who gave the Glock a poor rating have no clue and their information about the unsupported chamber are DEAD WRONG! I have been reloading for mine for quite some time, and I have put some pretty intense loads through it, like well over 4000+ rounds. Never an issue, never any trouble. I am also a Glock Certified Armorer. That all said, the .40 S&W was designed to be a middle ground cartridge. It was not designed for the pinpoint accuracy of the .38 Special, or the .45ACP. This cartridge was specifically designed as a service cartridge, nothing more. It is capable of good accuracy, but only when you keep the velocities with a 160 Grain Bullet down in the 980 FPS area, where the cartridge was designed to perform the best. It is a very good shooting cartridge, and I have enjoyed working with it for many years now. It can indeed be a tempermental cartridge if you are seeking target type accuracy. But for what its intent was, it is more than adequate. As for the Glock 22, I have carried mine for many years, it is a Gen 2, and I can tell you the Gen 3's are that much better. Many complain about the lack of a "safety" on the pistol, but it is actually built with 3 of them in design. The Glock is never "******". The internal system works more like a Pin-Ball striker, or a retractable ball point pen. The internal striker is drawn completely to the rear of its travel, then the disconnector/sear is cammed out of the way releasing the firing pin just like a Pin-Ball striker. There is no possible way to discharge a cartridge by "accident", either by hitting the back of the pistol or dropping it. When the trigger is pulled there is a firing pin lock that is disengaged in order for the firing pin to make its complete travel forward to strike the primer of the said cartridge. As one other person in this area put it, Glock is somewhat the AK-47 of the pistol world. But again they were designed that way. Gaston Glock who designed them had the Military and Law Enforcement in mind. He wanted to design something that was completely user friendly, accurate enough to do what was asked of it, simple to maintain, and very easy to learn how to use proficently, thus reducing the necessary training time for the weapon. How good is Glock? Well, when I see most of my Law Enforcement Departments issuing them in my area as their Department Standard, then there is something to be said for them. Personally, I think our Military, was short changed with the Beretta 92FS, (oh yeah the M-9), and should have been issued a better option. Now as for the last part of your question about the .40 vs .45. There are certain loads in the .40 S&W Caliber that do approach the .45ACP. But what the .40 S&W lacks, the same can be said for the .45 ACP too. I do like the .45 ACP Cartridge, but its one major issue, is that of recoil for the shooter. Something the .40 S&W makes up for in its ability to recover to place more rounds on target faster. However, the mighty .45 ACP, in the hands of an experienced shooter is a lethal cartridge. It makes up for its recoil, in accuracy. I hope that will give you some food for thought! Good Luck and Happy Shooting!

My favorite carry round? Fed hydra-shocks in 45 acp. in the 40..corbon 135 grainers. Which would I'd pick in a 45 vs 40 scenario? Wimp out now, most 40's carry more ammo.One on one gunfight, 1911 in 45 acp.Gotta a bunch of foes, good 40 with a 15 round mag. This is coming from the perspective of a civilian, don't have a partner to back me up, but, 8 45acp suit me fine.15 rounds of 40 suit me better.Gotta go with the 40 here.

The 45 auto vs 40 s&w vs 9mm is one of the oldest arguments in the gun world. I think there will never be an answer because it depends on the individual.

When people ask me what caliber they should get for self defense or CCW, I always recommend getting what you are use to shooting, efficient at shooting & can afford to practice. I guarantee I can take down an attacker with a 9mm just as easily as someone can with a 45 auto. What good is a 45 auto if you don't know how to control the recoil and you can't afford to practice shooting it. As a competitive "practical shooter" (USPSA), i'm not just shooting a 9mm round........i'm shooting a 115g or 125g or 147g bullet with x amount of ____ powder. I'm shooting a fmj, cmj, jhp, etc type of bullet. Most competitive shooters not only practice a particular caliber but is more precise to a specific type of round.

Any round is deadly. Your going to have guys who love 45 autos and guys that love 9mm or what ever round floats their boat. I like 40 S&W because it is very versatile. Capacity of a 9mm and power of a 45. I can tailor rounds to have a minor power factor or a major power factor.

Shoot what you prefer and just have fun!!!!!

Source(s): Competitive shooter
  • Mr.357

A .40 is a higher pressure round so the recoil will be snappier. A .45 bullet is an impressive chunk of metal designed to damage when it is stopped.

• TDM

I love my Ruger .45 Auto, but i carry a Springfield .40 S&W daily.

Ditto 'Glock Doctor'. I prefer the .45 ACP (even though currently I carry .40's, for now)

Source(s): Life / Work

Do you realize how many times this has been previously asked? http://answers.yahoo.com/search/search_result;_ylt...

10mm Auto-best of both worlds.