Should these people only face a few years in prison for causing a Gay man's death?

PISCATAWAY, N.J. – The death of a Rutgers University freshman stirred outrage and remorse on campus from classmates who wished they could have stopped the teen from jumping off a bridge last week after a recording of him having a sexual encounter with a man was broadcast online.

Clementi's roommate, Dhraun Ravi, and fellow Rutgers freshman Molly Wei, both 18, have been charged with invading Clementi's privacy. Middlesex County prosecutors say the pair used a webcam to surreptitiously transmit a live image of Clementi having sex on Sept. 19 and that Ravi tried to webcast a second encounter on Sept. 21, the day before Clementi's suicide.

Collecting or viewing sexual images without consent is a fourth-degree crime. Transmitting them is a third-degree crime with a maximum prison term of five years. ABC News and The Star-Ledger of Newark reported that Clementi left on his Facebook page on Sept. 22 a note that read: "Jumping off the gw bridge sorry." On Wednesday, his Facebook page was accessible only to friends.

I'm straight and right now I'm not particularly proud of that fact. I feel Ravi and Wei should be charged with some type of manslaughter. This isn't about just invading that man's privacy and trying to humiliate him. They knew the potential for driving that young man to do what he did when they chose to humiliate him. Do you think this should be considered a hate crime and with some type of manslaughter charge attached? Ravi was his roommate and not some stranger. He had to know or have some idea of how Clementi would react to such a humiliating and cruel act. Thanks for you opinions.

I know Clementi made the decision to take his own life but it seems to me it's long overdue to send a clear message that this type of situation just won't be tolerated.

Favorite Answer

I think they should be in there for more than a few years, I say 10! Honestly, I just looked at that story and I am disgusted that these two colluded to harass and even made this public which should tack on some more time as the man had no idea he was being taped whatsoever.

I think they thought they were being funny, I think that Ravi wondered what his roommates sexuality was and this was their way of finding out or something. If he knew he was gay, I think that hate crimes charges should be applied because it was filmed with the intent to damage this man's character based on sexual orientation. Honestly, I think it should be charged as such too because he rejoiced over finding out that he was being intimate with another man and knew the potential for damage from unapproving people since it would have gotten out to the campus at large in a matter of time

• camray

This is a tough one, but don't for a second apologize or feel bad for being straight, you didn't do this. What they did was inexcusable and they should be punished for it, but I don't know if there's a case for manslaughter. How can it be proven that they intended to drive him to suicide, or knew in any way this would happen? I don't think that there will ever be a strong enough case for that. As far as a hate crime, by the way the law defines it it certainly could be considered that, but again that's a big gray area. My own opinion may be a bit controversial on the whole hate crime thing, since I think the problem is our judicial system does a poor job at protection all of us, and the laws should not discriminate even though it protects a certain population. What I'm saying is that if someone kills some one, isn't that an act of hate anyway?

The only crime Ravi and Wei should be charged with is invading Clementi's privacy. Ravi and the other guy did not "cause" Clementi's death because Clementi jumped off the bridge under his own free will. As for them getting manslaughter charges, that cannot happen. Manslaughter is a form of homicide and is broken into two types.

Voluntary manslaughter is commonly defined as an intentional killing in which the offender had no prior intent to kill, such as a killing that occurs in the "heat of passion." The circumstances leading to the killing must be the kind that would cause a reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed; otherwise, the killing may be charged as a first-degree or second-degree murder. For example, Dan comes home to find his wife in bed with Victor. In the heat of the moment, Dan picks up a golf club from next to the bed and strikes Victor in the head, killing him instantly.

Involuntary manslaughter usually refers to an unintentional killing that results from recklessness or criminal negligence, or from an unlawful act that is a misdemeanor or low-level felony (such as DUI). The usual distinction from voluntary manslaughter is that involuntary manslaughter (sometimes called "criminally negligent homicide") is a crime in which the victim's death is unintended. For example, Dan comes home to find his wife in bed with Victor. Distraught, Dan heads to a local bar to drown his sorrows. After having five drinks, Dan jumps into his car and drives down the street at twice the posted speed limit, accidentally hitting and killing a pedestrian.

Thus, manslaughter is a form of homicide because the individual in question that committed the offence is required to have killed the victim himself. Because Ravi and Wei didn't kill Clementi, as he jumped off the bridge himself and caused his own death, they cannot be charged with manslaughter. Besides, as for Ravi and Wei knowing how Clementi would have reacted, no one knows for sure how one would react to an act since no one is psychic, no matter how humiliating the act, nor is Clementi's reaction to the act relevant to what Ravi and Wei should be charged with, nor does it automatically imply that they are responsible for whatever action Clementi decided to take.

While I think these assholes should go to jail for a while, I don't think what they did was a hate crime, nor does it deserve years in prison. Involuntary manslaughter sounds about right, but it's not like they could reasonably judge the psyche of the victim to know he could kill himself. I'm sure they do feel some sort of remorse, and are really dealing with some serious demons atm. This was a very rude prank gone terribly wrong.

That said, I think the appropriate punishment should be 6 months in jail and 5 years probation. But what this story really displays is how some homosexuals are scared to let people know of their orientation, which is very sad. Hopefully this case helps people see homosexuals as people, and not a joke.

honestly, i read the article earlier today, and i don't think so. i hope they get the max, which maybe they likely will since how clementi responded, but i don't think they imagined any kind of reaction like that. i imagine their futures are completely ruined, because i can't imagine an employer wanting to hire someone who so disregards privacy and confidentiality. i'd much rather hire someone with a felony assault from a drunken college night. i was fairly quiet and depressed when i was a freshman, but i wouldn't have reacted that way. and i've never heard of anyone charged with manslaughter if they were the one to cause PTSD in someone who then killed himself. if instead clementi killed them instead, he'd certainly be tried for murder. and i've seen nothing in the articles i've read to suggest that ravi did this because his roommate is gay. i wouldn't be surprised if this has happened a number of times when a roommate is with the opposite sex.

I think it's horrible, I mean seriously. He had done nothing wrong but keep to himself and those two decided to be idiots and invade his privacy. People need to drop their stupid ideas about what is normal! I'm sick of seeing kids getting picked on because they don't fit the Gender Roles. Gender Roles should also be removed!

*Grabs a microphone* "Hello let me introduce to you, Tara J. this user is an Original Troll here in the LGBT section on yahoo answers. Tara J. is like a caged monkey, cute but all the user does is fling crap."

Death Records Search Database : http://www.DeathRecordInfo.com

I can't see any way on Earth they could make a manslaughter charge stick.

Obviously a couple of evil b'stards but they can only be charged with something they did,you could never prove they knew their consequences

• Anon

Straight people complain about gay people kissing in the street, when we actually get a room they go and do something like this? Is nothing good enough for these people?

Yeah I hear about this on youtube(the youngturks) anyways I do think they should go to jail for invasion of privacy but NOT for murder, it was the kid's choice for killing himself and only himself. So yeah they should go to jail but for invasion of privacy not for manslaughter.