What is the term for the gathering and meal that follows a funeral?

I want to call it a reception, but that is generally a happy celebration. I am an event coordinator, and I am organizing one for this Saturday. I have been told it is a "refast" and I have also heard the term "collation." HELP!

3 Answers

  • Bilbo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Repast (American in origin) or Cold Collation (Jewish) are good words - Funeral Tea is a very usual term which might give people some expectation of what it will involve.

    It is not a wake - which is rather a more earnest past time involving copious alcohol and a mixture of sadness and gaiety and more in the spirit of vigils or watches, hence the name.

  • JD
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Where I come from, we call it part of the 'wake'. The wake can include viewing and gatherings both before and after a funeral. The word I think you are looking for is 'repast' not 'refast.'

  • 1 decade ago


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.