Thinking about buying a k98 rifle from Mitchell's Mausers.?

Hey guys i'm thinking about buying a German k98 from Mitchell's Mausers.Are they good rifles? Thanks!!!!!

Favorite Answer

Sit down, this may take a while.

Mitchell's are re-assembled Russian capture rifles, and as such are of no interest whatsoever to collectors. Many of them refer to them quite derisively, and claim they are way overpriced for what they are. This may be true to some extent. Also the accessories that often come with them are not Mauser accessories, but Russian. Many times the slings shipped with them won't work at all. There have also been accusations of them re-numbering parts. They chrome the bolt, which is the easiest way to identify any Mitchell's Mauser.

However,

Most of them shoot just fine. Many have dark bores, but still shoot quite accurately. They do look good, but on an old rifle, sometimes an original patina is more desirable than a shiny finish. The thing here is; If I had an old, rust pitted mismatched parts Russian capture Mauser that still shot good I would likely do much the same thing to it that Mitchell's does to theirs.

One should never try to pass off such a rifle as "collectible," but one may shoot it for years, and keep it in his safe with pride just the same. Also, refinishing, restocking, and doing all that other work to an otherwise junk gun would likely cost more than Mitchell's is asking for anyways; and while Mausers may have fetched as little as $200 only a few years ago, you simply cannot find them for that price anymore, which makes me think that their prices aren't as inflated as some claim.

Also, make sure you know what you're getting if mail ordering one. Only the K98s are German WWII rifles. The Yugo M48s, which they pass off as "WWII era" aren't. They're decent rifles, and shorter and handier than the K98s, but they are postwar Yugoslavian, not WWII German as their ads imply.

Make your own decision as to what you want, but I hope I can let you know what it is you're getting better than Mitchell's will.

Source(s): No love for MMC, but I'd rather see a junk rifle restored than scrapped.
  • strech

Good rifles?

Out dated, BUT:

1) In service 1935–Present. Staying power.

2) Used by 18 different country's

3) Voted number 1 on History Channels Top Ten Battle Rifles of all time.

4) Has been said you can shoot a 100 year old Mauser (if properly maintained), and it'll shoot as good as the day it left the factory.

K98 ranks right up there with the Garand and 1917 Enfield and Mosin-Nagant. They last forever; and, as I point out to the youngsters in my family, if somebody has one of those old thundersticks and a thousand yards in insurance just agree with everything they do or say.

It depends what you want it for. They are not collector's pieces. They are restored and look really nice. Probably shoot real nice too. But you can get a "real" one for about ½ of Mitchell's prices.

If you are looking for a Mauser try www.gunbroker.com. They have a large list of different mausers in their auctions at any time.

• MJ

Overpriced and pimp-shined. "Matching" numbers may be counterfeited?

If you want a nice looking shooter, Mitchell's will work.