Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

What were the 1960's like?

Favorite Answer

The invention of the contraceptive pill changed the paradigm for young people, meaning they could have sex without getting pregnant, although so many still did. The sexual revolution. The fact that the pill was available meant that sex was much more available also.

It was also the time of the Vietnam war, which started with optimism and ended in defeat in the early '70s. The presidency and assassination of John F. Kennedy in 1963, and the assassination of his brother, Robert and Martin Luther King in 1968.John F. Kennedy's assassination brought Lyndon Johnson to the US presidency who continued trying to win the Vietnam war without any success. He was successful, however in the Civil Rights Movement with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965

The Beatles, of course, along with the continuing career of Elvis Presley were the highlights of the pop music scene. The Rolling Stones, The Animals, Manfred Mann, Petula Clark, Herman's Hermits, Freddie and the Dreamers were among the majors from the UK and in the US with artits such as Joan Baez and Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, The Mamas & the Papas, The Lovin' Spoonful, and Simon and Garfunkel.

In film, Marilyn Monroe was still a star, famous for singing at her lover, President John F. Kennedy's 45th birthday party in 1962, in her last major public appearance. English actresses Judi Dench , Glenda Jackson, Vanessa Redgrave, Rita Tushingham, Julie Christie, Susannah York, and Helen Mirren. Actors Sean Connery in the famous James Bond films, Rex Harrison, Paul Scofield. US actors Burt Lancaster, Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Sidney Poitier, Anne Bancroft, Lee Marvin, Rod Steiger, Cliff Robertson, John Wayne, Anne Bancroft, Barbra Striesand,

• Rubym

It depends, some would tell you just sex and drugs. I see it from a different view, but it was a time of great change.

The early 60's were much like the 50's, but the Kennedy years changed things in some ways, there was a new, younger (although being 9 when Kennedy was elected, I hardly saw him as 'young') President and things were going to be different. Music was changing, as the decade started it was early Rock n' Roll, Elvis, Paul Anka, Frankie Avalon, then the Beatles changed everything. And yes, drugs, sadly became very much a part of culture and a lot less concern about morality with the invention of the pill and other attitudes. By the late 60's, Jimi Hendrix, the Doors, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, etc. were big. But others like the Monkees, Paul Revere and Raiders were popular with young teen girls.

The Space Race was big, every flight by an astronaut was huge news. The flights, which in the early years took hours, not days, weeks or months, were covered beginning to end on TV, with every detail talked about. By the time of the moon landings, people around the world were seeing it on TV. TV really took off in the 60's, by the mid 60's just about all shows were in color. There were 3 networks and a limited number of shows on. Shows were on at least part of a season and were on the same night all the time until the late 60's.

Computers were something that belonged to the Space Program or that new show "Star Trek". There was usually one phone line in the house, maybe an extension. There was probably one, maybe 2 TVS. Some families were starting to have more than 1 car by the late 60's. Divorce was getting more common, more divorced women worked, even some married women. The Civil Rights movement was going strong, there was some progress for African Americans and others, but things were still very bad in some places.

I remember the 60s as a child being quite an agreeable decade. There were more mothers at home in those days, so children weren't shoved into daycare so much. I remember my mother and her friends having quite a pleasant life, theyw ere always in and out of each other's houses drinking coffee and chatting, and they hadplenty of time to pursue their own interests - my mother enjoyed painting and gardening, and she wrote a lot of letters to friends, and we used to go up to London on the bus and go sshopping and go to museums and art galleries and things. It was very nice.

Children played outside more in those days, we rode bikes and climbed trees and explored, and parents didn't seem to worry so mucha bout their children going out. And if someone fell over and hurt themselves your parents didn't rush off to sue someone. And we didn't have to wear those silly helmets either.

Most adults smoked, and there wasn't the masssive neurosis there is nowadays about everything being bad for you. But there weren't so many fat people around as you see nowadays, I think people generally got more exercise then than they do now.

There wasn't nearly *** much televison as there is now, and no video games etc. chidlren read more, there were loads of comics in those days for boys and girls. I read about 3 girls comics a week, full of exciting adventure stories, I loved them. And we played board games and made things and stuff like that.

Fabulous!

Exciting-The world was new and shiny - we were full of hope and optimism. Freedom from all kinds of restriction - The Pill was available for the first time -Man landed on the Moon. Jobs were plentiful -Women were emancipated -Music was exciting - Life was for living!

(But then I was young).

However,I will state that life has not got better since the glorious 60;s.

Source(s): Me (I was there).