Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Jesus said " nobody comes to the father except through me " so why do catholics use priests as an intermediary?

and why do catholics pray to saints ? and acknowledge any kind of pope as christs representative on earth ?

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Appreciate any insight into this , thanks

Update:

@Tasha gloom, who is judging ?

this is a question

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves"

— Matthew 7:15

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • C
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

When you state that Catholics use Saints or Priests as intermediaries, that is considered judgmental because you are accepting those things as fact when they are not.

Not saying that you meant it as judgmental, just shows that we really don't use an intermediary.

We don't worship statues, we don't consider Mary as divine or Worship her, we don't confess TO the Priest, we confess to God, through the Priest.

We would agree 100% with John 14:6.

Because I don't think you asked in a bashing intent, I will give you some advise on understanding the Catholic faith, I have some insight because I used to be Protestant my whole life up to the age of 42 and then became Catholic after 20 years of studying the faith.

1. Take what Protestant Pastors say about what the Catholics believe with a grain of salt. Think about it, they are not Catholic, most never were Catholic and many only have a year or less of serious Theology study. In the same way you don't ask a Tennis coach the details about Football.

2. Get out your copy of the Bible, turn to the New Testament and read it along with an impartial study guide (does not have to be a Catholic one) but one that explains the meanings of each book, who it was written to and why.

3. Get a copy or abbreviated copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and read it. The Catechism is not a supplement to the Bible, but it does give all of our beliefs and the scriptural reasons for them. It applies the Biblical principals to our modern life. Catholics do have beliefs that are not in the bible, true, most Christians do as well. The Trinity is never mentioned in the bible for instance. BUT there are no Catholic teachings that go against the Bible.

If you think about it, did Jesus leave us the Bible? In a way yes, it was definitely divinely inspired with the Holy Spirit, but the New Testament was not compiled until 300 years after Christ, and it was compiled by the Catholic Church. So Jesus had to have a reason for not just the Bible, but also his Church and all the Sacraments to keep us in the Grace of God even though we are imperfect.

Peace and God Bless!

Source(s): Catholic Convert
  • Kurt
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

I know any number of Protestants who tell their children that their deceased grandparents are up in heaven looking out for them. There is also the idea that it is important to honor the memory of those who have gone before. I've often seen reverence of saints as akin to this. Catholics, if they know their theology, don't pray TO the saints, but rather ask saints to pray for and with them to God -- why would we think, if we believe there is eternal life, that the prayers of those who are gone would be less effective than those still here on Earth? I hope that those who have gone on before us are still concerned enough about us to extend their hopes and prayers for us. We need them all!

I know any number of Protestants who have seen Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Billy Graham, John Wesley, Martin Luther and others as a representative of Christ on Earth. That doesn't make them Christ themselves. Most preachers I know of all stripes see themselves as somehow speaking the words of God, Christ, the Spirit, what have you, in their capacities. There's nothing wrong with that, either.

If nobody comes to the Father except through me, then why do so many on the Protestant side insist that the only way there is through the intermediary of a book? (and quite frequently, the King James Version and no other)

• 10 years ago

Most modern Christians consider the “Way” as being through Jesus, him, and him alone. It's taken as a literal following of Jesus.

However, there is another way to interpret it.

There used to be a group of Christians (very early Christian group) called “People of The Way” These guys believed the “way” was to live life like Jesus i.e. to live a pure Christ-like life. This is what they considered the “way” to mean, rather than directly following Jesus.

They even went as far as saying that ANYONE (not just Christians) could gain entry into heaven as long as they lived a Christ-like life.

These days, this isn't considered enough. Most Christians will say you also have to worship/praise/love Jesus (obvious), and that 'workings' are not enough on their own.

-------------

Either way you look at it, it's in reference to gaining entry to Heaven/God. Catholics don't believe saints are the way into heaven, they agree with everyone else that Jesus and his teachings are the way.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

No where in the bible does Jesus Christ call any man his father. There is no account of Jesus calling Joseph his father. When ever Jesus refers to his and our father he is only ever referring to God. In the same sense as Jesus Christ did not call any earthly man father. It is my understanding that we should follow his example and not call any earthly man your father. Jesus Christ gives a reason why we shouldn't call anyone on earth your father and that is because we have only one Father, and he is in heaven. We can refer to men as having fathered us or to other men as being a father and we can refer to ourselves as having fathered others or that we are a father to others but to call anyone on earth your father goes against the teachings of Jesus. We have only one Father, and he is in heaven.

• 10 years ago

Priests are not intermediaries. They are ministers. They minister to God's people, helping them to come to the Father through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

• 10 years ago

Priests are not intermediaries. They are teachers and pastors. They are shepherds.

The hierarchy of ordained ministers in the Catholic Church mirrors how Jesus and the Apostles set up the original Christian Church.

There are three levels of Holy Orders, Deacon, Priest, and Bishop.

Bishops are the Apostles of today. Each one leads a diocese, a group of parishes centered around a large city. Special types of bishop are archbishop, cardinal, and pope (who leads the whole Church). For Scripture references, see:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/3/UL.HTM

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/7/H1.HTM

Priests are co-workers of the bishops and can lead a parish. A special title for a priest is monsignor. Priests are called presbyters in the Bible. For Scripture references, see:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/2/9I.HTM

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/2/40.HTM

Deacons assist the bishop and priests in the celebration of the Eucharist, in the distribution of Holy Communion, in assisting at and blessing marriages, in the proclamation of the Gospel and preaching, in presiding over funerals, and in dedicating themselves to the various ministries of charity. For Scripture references, see:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/B/WD.HTM

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/4/OI.HTM

For more information, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church: http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt2sect2chpt3....

Maybe the question should be: Why do most Protestant denomiations reject the biblical offices of bishop and presbyters (priests)?

With love in Christ.

• 10 years ago

This has been discussed a number of times on here. I wonder why people keep bringing these matters up.

• elyon
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

The reason catholics do these things is because they are not trusting scripture alone as the ultimate authority. They are using the church to interpret scripture, instead of letting scripture interpret the church's role in God's plan. A catholic "priest" (if honest) will tell you that sprinkling is a tradition of the church, even though immersion is clearly the biblical method of baptism.

• 10 years ago

1 Timothy 4.1

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.