Boarding school, and exchange students?

Well, its a long story.

Im going off to boarding school to 'sample the benefits of a British Education'

And i found some really great schools!

Like::

Queen Ethelburga's College

Cobham Hall

and loads more.

But the only thing is, those are in the UK.

And im in the USA.

That means i'd be an exchange student correct?

But HOW?

How do i get there?

I have no idea how to contact the school offices because of the time differences, and how can aply for their school?

Anything will help!

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Typically, as an international student you can attend boarding schools in other countries, as long as you pay the tuition and you are accepted and are able to get the proper visas.

You wouldn't necessarily be an *exchange* student when you go to study in a foreign country, but some programs call students that even if there isn't an actual exchange, just one student going one way.

At QE College, the price is about $50,000 - $55,000 (US $) a school year, depending on grade, paid in advance.

QE College http://www.queenethelburgas.edu/international-stud...

There are scholarship programs for exchange students, I don't know if they're any for the UK, or any student exchange programs, Google to find out. For foreign students studying in the US, the scholarships are very tough to get and are for exceptional stand out students. I know for the few US programs, 10s of thousands of kids apply, but there are only like 50 scholarships awarded per program, so very few. Generally, the scholarships are for public schools in the US, where the fees can run from about $3000 to $10,000 per school year, which is way less than private school. (An international student in the US must pay for the actual cost of education at a public high school, and they are only allowed to attend one year.) It's a hassle with the visas, etc, so many schools, especially in big cities, don't participate in exchange programs, you're most likely to have them in places like Iowa where they don't have much diversity. UK programs may be similar, you live with a host family and attend a school that doesn't usually charge a fee (but may for international students like we do in the US), and they'd probably like a student that adds diversity to their student body. It is unlikely that many boarding schools participate in exchange situations unless you're a full pay student.

At my son's private school, the international students must bring something cultural, which generally means they must speak a foreign language that the school teaches. Usually the language teachers arrange for the exchange students. Unless the student has been awarded a scholarship through an exchange program, they pay the $30,000 a year tuition, and may also pay the host family.

The best thing to do is to speak to a counselor at your school. There are some exchange programs that aren't very good and could put you in a bad situation, so you want to work with one your school has had good experiences with. Schools get info about all this type of stuff, so they will know about it, or know who you can call for info. It is likely you wouldn't be attending a UK boarding school (unless you can pay the full tuition), but a typical public (non-fee) school and live with a local host family.

Good luck!

I feel you must pass on a scholar alternate programme. Nothing compares to learning foreign -- you get to revel in strong matters, meet such a lot of new men and women and make fantastic peers. My revel in was once on of the finest I have ever had and, while I feel again on it, it's only a blur of amusement and happiness. I additionally went to boarding tuition for five years... That was once an revel in I could as a substitute no longer repeat.

For Queen Ethelburga's

website: www.QE.org

Email: info@QE.org

or from website request prospectus form, complete and we will send you everything you need to know. Also from our website on the "Contacts" page it shows whether the offices are open as we often work late so we may be here! Good luck.