Anonymous

Does anyone know anything about Green Mountain College in Vermont?

I saw this college on a list as one of the ten best environmental schools in America, which is what i plan to study. I have done some research but I am still not entirely sold.

Has anyone attended there? visited? hired a graduate or student there?

It sames really small. 800 kids.. wouldnt there be more if it was a great school? supposedly they have over a %70 acceptance rate.. which is pretty high for most of the schools on the list I found.

I have heard some crazy things about schools up there.. "they dont even give tests" "there is no real learning" "people are only there for the experience" as awesome and enjoyable as this sounds I will need some real learning in college. Im sure alot of that stuff is here-say, and not true but it had to come from somewhere. I have gathered that Green Mountain is very progressive in the learning process but what I said earlier seems too far. Any ensuring thoughts?

comparing my slightly above average grades and very good extricurricular record to the accepted students, I think I would be accepted pretty easily, which gives me further skepticism as to the legitmacy of this school being as reputable as college rankings claim.

so my final question-

Is Green Mountain a great school? and by great I mean-

reputable, high standing among employers

actual learning

enjoyable

cool people

great college experience

worth the money

thanks..

Best Answer

Hey!

My name is Camille, and I'm actually a junior at GMC. I study Conservation Biology here, with a minor in Environmental Studies.

In case you did not know, Green Mountain College is known for its Environmental Liberal Arts curriculum. The ELA curriculum is much like the general eds at any other college, except each class is focused on how the particular topic pertains to environmental studies. Each students takes about 10 ELA courses while at GMC, no matter what they may be studying. Because of this, all student, History majors or Environmental Management majors, walk away from GMC with a fundamental understanding of the natural environment.

While we offer traditional majors (history, writing, etc.) we are known for our unique majors in the areas of the natural environment. Some of these include Sustainable Agriculture, Renewable Energy and Design, Natural Resource Management and Adventure Education. The students here are united in an environmental mission--which explains how we became Sierra Magazine's Greenest School. We also support students who are interested in designing their own major, and have options for studying unique interests.

We are accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. Despite our small size, we have an active and academically focused body of students. We do have a very high acceptance rate, but this is likely because we receive a somewhat small number of applications. I will say that generally only students who are environmentally focused apply here--it is not a college for the average young person. Hopefully with our new ranking from Sierra we will see an increase in our number of applications!

I know what you mean with rumors about "Vermont Schools," but I can say they aren't true. We are not just a bunch of stoners who come to GMC to ski Killington (though a number of us do love the Mountain, and FREE adventure recreation opportunities!) Just like any other school, we are challenged with exams and papers. Our professors are very personable, and go by their first names. I know each and everyone of my professors, have eaten dinner with them, worked on my resumes with them, had them write me letters of recommendation, worked alongside them on research, house-sat for them, etc. Our small size is an attribute.

As for cool people, rural Vermont is the place to be. There is no shortage of progressive farmers, political activists, or devoted community members. I love each and every kooky personality I have met here.

And let me just say this...we have an organic farm right on campus, chickens and all.

If you have any questions, call and speak with Hope at 800-776-6675. Give her my name, or even just ask to speak with me. Good luck in your college search!

Camille

• latner

Green Mountain College Acceptance Rate

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

It sames really small. 800 kids.. wouldnt...

Source(s): green mountain college vermont: https://shortly.im/tVX18