Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 10 years ago

MIL says "store bought" vitamins are worthless...?

She says "store bought" or "synthetic" vitamins are not good for a child. They don't have anything the body REALLY needs and are not easily absorbed in the body. She wants me to give the kids this liquid vitamin she gets at online, I'd have to give it several times a day...

DISCLAIMER: I have done NO research on vitamins. I'm starting here with other people's opinions. I know nothing about vitamins except that all the pediatricians I've ever seen and the pharmacist good friend I have say store vitamins are fine.

My MIL does her research ONLINE.... I have had to explain to her NUMEROUS times that just because something is online, does NOT make it a legit scientific experience. She's emailed me SOOOO many "articles/studies/scientific journals" over the years that are just CRAP. They are NOT scientist, the research is skewed, and it was the only "research" of it's kind that I could find....and again it was NOT a scientific study done by a legit college/medical hospital/or any other conventional scientists...

So, what are your thoughts on vitamins? She kind of already has a strike against her in my book, so I'm hesitant to believe her on this topic.

In case you are curious, here is the vitamin she wants me to give the kids.

http://www.intramax.org/

Favorite Answer

There's a link to click to listen "about it's benifits"

:(

Ask her to find a site that can spell and use punctuation? And doesn't sell "colon cleanse" quackery. Quackwatch is a great site: http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/...

I mean, I don't know what you could possibly say other than "no." Clearly this is overpriced and unnecessary junk, and if you want to use vitamins, yeah, the generic at the drugstore is fine.

It is usually not worth really 'engaging' with these people, whose 'feelings' about stuff carry more weight than medical journals. Thank them for the advice, smile, move on... (Advice I should follow on Y!A, I'm sure)

• jlb

I have a friend who is very into natural nutrition so I'll try to give this a shot.

Some OTC vitamins ARE crap. If it takes longer then an hour for the pill to dissolve in a glass of water it's worthless. Our bodies are made to absorb nutrients through the food we eat, not through supplements so the best vitamins are those that are made from natural products not lab created ones. If your kids are eating well balanced diets there really isn't a reason to give vitamins at all.

• *She* sounds worthless. Kidding of course. :)

They're the same goddamn thing. We order a lot of our vitamins online, but that's purely convenience. I'm not so sure about the Flintstones ones, but I've had friends who's pediatricians recommend them for their kids, so they can't be any less effective than the rest.

Does she by chance work with the company? I know a few ladies who sell vitamins out of their homes, just for a little extra income. I understand how annoying it can be, I feel like punching those people - they never shut up about *their* vitamins. Agh.

Whatever you're giving your kids is fine, no better, no worse than the rest.

Source(s): Of course, I don't actually know anything either. I read up on what I put in my body and in my kids' bodies, but I am no expert on any of this stuff, by any means.
  • kbk823

Much of what is in vitamins gets washed through the body and expelled with the urine anyways- and it doesn't matter if it's in liquid, solid or gummy bear form. I just don't see the point of wasting tons of money on something that is no better than gummy vitamins or Flintstones chewables.

Isn't Intramax that company that a few years ago was a big part of the foot chelation scam? Those pads that stick to the bottom of your foot while you sleep that supposedly "pull toxins out of your body" but in actuality just react with the moisture on your feet? I vaguely remember something about this company, and it isn't good.

• ?

No even your daughters PED will recommend the store bought vita drops or a 1/2 Flintstones gummy every two or three days.

I used to take vitamins and I did ask my daughters PED about them, he suggested 1/2 a Flintstones ever 2 or 3 days, only if I wanted to. Here is the thing, MOST vitamins contain lead and so he suggested doing a blood test for that first.

So I say just have your daughter eat plenty of fruits and veggies and get her vitamins the natural way.

I am a grandmother and I have no knowledge about vitamins either. However any product from a company that hasnt been around a long time is suspect to me. You really dont know what half that stuff might do to your child and if it was me I would stick to Flintstones vitamins as these are what they give to pregnant women who cannot tolerate the normal pre-natals.

They aren't worthless ....I give my kids flinstone vitamins.....pediatrician says it is fine. Now some adult multi vitamins can be hard for the body to breakdown and absorb because of the coating.

Now where is the fun if you can't bite Fred Flinstones head off? LOL. I'd be hard pressed to convince my kids to take liquid anything. Even medication is a tough one in this house. Hhmmm......$60 for magic goo or $8 for Flinstones? I'll take the Flinstones thanks. They've been around for as long as I can remember.

Source(s): Life

A vitamin is a vitamin, period. My pediatrician recommends Flinstones or any other store bought chewable. I'm going with him on this one.

• Em

Sounds like that crazy Doctor in Rosemary's baby. If they start giving you some crazy drink to give her RUN away.

Source(s): Sorry- I know nothing about vitamins, but I know a lot about movies.