Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Spiritually speaking, have you ever hitchhiked before?

If so, please be kind enough to describe your experience in detail.

@ Jib Jab - No LOL. Just a loving gesture to one of my friends: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AsICX...

(((Jabber wock)))

(((K)))

Favorite Answer

Oh, ya, on 4 different continents!

My most memorable experiences were in Africa. One time I was picked up just outside Bulawayo by a farmer driving a bakkie (pickup), with his wife and kids on board. After only a few Ks he stopped in a town for a 'few minutes', leaving me to chat to his wife.

Half an hour later he came back rolling drunk, clearly from the local shebeen, got in the drivers seat and tried to drive off. After swerving all over the road and narrowly missing two large trucks, his wife grabbed my newspaper, rolled it up, and started hitting him over his head 'til he stopped driving. He pretty much just keeled over sideways.

The wife explained she couldn't drive, and asked me to do so. So we dragged him out of the seat, I took his place, and drove for several hundred km to the outskirts of the capital city, Harare. At that point he had sobered up enough to take over, and I was happy to find my own way into town to my friends.

DIY hitch-hiking has much to recommend it!

So are you now an astronaut or a werewolf, ((((Moon Erin))))?

• The closest being when I blew out the engine on my car, got it off the road in a rest stop about twelve miles from the nearest town, and it starts to rain; Just when I was about to think "Man, this sucks" A pickup truck with a crew cab and a family pulls over and the passenger asks if I needed a ride to the next town.

By the way, the passenger, a young girl, was the only member of the family to speak English: They were gypsies. I never more will believe all the nasty things said about gypsies after that day.

Yeah I was running from house arrest and had to steal and bum cigarettes and rides for about 3 days before i said **** it and went back home... **** being a minor. Oh well 18 in 6 months :P 8 grand in the bank and still workin, gonna get the hell outa here.

I hitchiked a hundred miles back to my home when I was about 16, after I ran away for a few days.

From Minehead in Somerset to my home in Devon in SW England, I got sunburned,.

I always pick up hitchikers, it is perfectly safe in England. I could not give you a single story of someone being attacked by a hitchhiker here

Sure, a person still can here in the Dakotas.

I haven't hitched much since college but I still pick up hitchhikers and stranded motorists. If we didn't people would freeze to death in the winter.

Like Nolte, I'm not stupid, I always carry a loaded pistol under my arm.

RScott

I picked up a hitchhiker in a good neighborhood. She was a total freak. By the time I was rolling up to her house I told her to take off her seatbelt. She asked why. I told her that if she tried anything funny, I would stomp on the brakes and send her through the windshield.

I was young.

• Not exactly, although I have accepted rides from people I don't know. But I never stood there with my thumb out. I've also picked up hitchhikers. All my experiences were fine, no weirdos or murderers.

Oh dear, in the early 70's I hitchhiked everywhere.

I went to boarding school in El Paso, at 16, we went to Juarez every weekend to get drunk. I never had any problems hitching in Juarez, which is now, according to CNN, THE MOST DANGEROUS CITY IN THE WORLD.

Times are different now. Most of the time there were at least two of us when we hitched. Today, it is just not safe.

Never hitched myself, but used to pick up hikers all the time back in the 70s and 80s. These days, less inclined to do so...way too many wackos out there.

• chieko

yes. when i lived in hawaii (the big island). i lived in a tiny town where there was like 1 road thru the town. i didn't have a car so i often hitched a ride when i had to go long distances. i felt reasonably safe and i guess the people did too. i was usually picked up by other women or families with kids.

i would NEVER try it in the states, though...