Winter asked in PetsOther - Pets · 9 years ago

I am worried about my pet!?

My new African clawed frog is sick or hurt or something and I don't know how to help the poor little thing. I did a water change yesterday (after having her for only two days.) Today one of her legs does not seem to be working. I don't know what happened! Could she have hurt herself and just isn't moving the leg? She also has some light coloring on that leg and it is stuck kind of bent. Could it be the water conditioner? The condition of the water at the pet store? I have had other frogs from the store that didn't last long. Could it be something to do with the gold fish in the tank? I am stuck and worried! Mostly she seems to float about in the tank but, fish want to nip at her. I removed her and put her in a different but shallow tank with a cover on it. The only medication for fish (ect) I have now is LIFEGUARD.How ever I don't think that can be used on frogs.

Honestly I was concerned if the frog ate the fish. However I think that is why some of her limbs are not right maybe the fish got to her. I now have her in a very small tank. Maybe I can wait and see if she gets better and fix the situation. I read though that clawed frogs do not need heated water...

Best Answer

Its probably the goldfish.. They can be quite the bullies...

But you shouldn't be keeping an African Clawed Frog with goldfish to begin with.

First, goldfish are a cool water fish. ACFs are a tropical frog and need heated water.

Second, as you now know, goldfish can be bullies.. BUT, the ACF is honestly what you should worry about more. They can be aggressive, and will only get aggressive with age and growth. They also eat fish.. So will try to eat any fish that it thinks it could fit into its mouth. And if it can't fit it in its mouth.. Well, those claws can do some hefty damage.

Hmm..... I think your frog got nipped at by one of the fish. He will probably not live for long. I really don't think you can do anything but wait ubntil he tries to get better! Good luck! (: