Severus Snape's Birthday?

How come Snape's birthday is on the 9th of January? Does JK Rowling has made any reference about it in the book?

Thanks

• Human
    Favorite Answer

Robina, it was on harypotter.wikia and even Rowling said so on her interviews.

Professor Severus Snape (9 January, 1960 – 2 May, 1998) was Potions master (1981–1996), Defence Against the Dark Arts professor (1996–1997 school year), and Headmaster (1997–1998 school year) of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Snape played an important role in the war against Voldemort, though he did so covertly and at great personal risk.

Snape is the surname of a family with both Muggle and magical members. In modern times, they resided in a house on Spinner's End. Mr. and Mrs. Evans and their daughters Petunia and Lily lived nearby. The Snapes are related to the pure-blood Prince family.

Sometime before 1960, pure-blood witch Eileen Prince married Muggle Tobias Snape. They had one child, half-blood wizard Severus Snape. The marriage seemed to be unhappy, as they lived in near-destitution, frequently argued, and were neglectful of their son.

The above comes from the Harry Potter Wiki page, and it footnotes the date as coming from HP and the Half-Blood Prince as well as HP & the Deathly Hallows. I haven't checked the original, but I'll keep that in mind the next time I read the books.

as far as i know there is no mention of his birthday in any of the books except the half blood prince when Hermione finds that little article in the library about his mum Iline Prince marrying a muggle and having a son maed severus snape.

I don't think it mentioned the birth date.

How did u come to find it?

Severus Snape, Imelda Staunton and I all share the same birthday! Love it!

I don't think she does; it's just the day he was born.

• Josy

severus snapebirthday

That was just his birthday. It doesn't mean anything, J.K Rowling just gave him a random date for his birthday.

I think it's very significant as to why he hated Harry.

no,there is no reference about it in the book.