Is taking a fiberglass bass boat out on saltwater a big no-no?

Definitely a newb question I know, but I have never really gotten a solid answer. Would it harm the boat? What would happen?

Thanks

7 Answers

Relevance
  • mark t
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

No problem, there are tons of outboards that are used in salt water all the time. Many of them never get flushed either. It is a great idea to flush out the engine when you are done, and wash the boat. Make sure you have zincs on the boat and engine and you are good to go.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It depends on how the boat/trailer is configured. A typical saltwater boat is going to have a galvanized trailer to minimize corrosion as well as having stainless steel fittings throughout the vessel. The trolling motor will also usually have additional anti-corrosion fittings as well. That being said, the boat will run fine in saltwater...Ranger makes a couple of different salt water boats based on their bass boat hulls, so there is no issue there. If you are going to go offshore, you will need to be very careful to pick your day when the waves are flat. If you are staying inshore, you will not have any worse issues than if you were on a lake. Keep in mind that a bass boat usually takes a little more depth to get on plane, so you can't run really skinny (shallow) in it. You will need to THOROUGHLY clean the boat, rinse it, and oil all metal components if you do this as well as dunking the trailer in a lake ASAP to get the salt off it. Even then, you are going to see a rapid deterioration in the brake system. My two cents is to get a bay boat for the coast (which are usually much cheaper than bass boats, depending on what you get), and keep the bass boat in fresh water...I fish both heavily and have never put my bass boat in the salt water for the reasons mentioned above. Good luck to you!

• jtexas
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

not a no-no at all.

Just be aware that saltwater use requires a bit more maintenance because of it's corrosive nature. But it's no worse for a bass boat than any other boat.

• Cliff
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

biggest worry i would have is the typical bass boat is not made for rough waters and big waves.

you would definetly want to pick a very calm day.

just make sure you flush the motor and rinse the entire vessel and all the gear to prevent the salt from causing problems as soon as you get it home.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Absolutely no problem, fiberglass is the best material for salt water. will not harm anything .. just remember to flush the motor out with fresh water imediatly after use, do not let the salt dry inside the engine cooling water jacket, it will form crystals and corrode the alloy engine block.

• 9 years ago

Just wash the boat and flush the engine with fresh water and you will be just fine.

• 9 years ago

i think u would have to worry more about the engine then the boat itself. u would be fine if u do a good wash afterwords and i mean GOOD. and make sure u flush your engine real good. i would be real worried about the waves to i went out on a buddies gambler bass boat on the potomic river on a real chopy day and it was tuff couldnt really get good speed and also had to turn on the pump alot from the waves washing into the boat. other then all that i think you would be good.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.