Molly asked in PetsFish · 10 years ago

Is aquarium gravel safe for my Betta fish?

I had some aquarium gravel left over from when I had gold fish and wasn't sure if it was safe to use for my Betta fish?

oopps sorry.. forgot to mention the gravel has not been used yet, still in the package. sorry for the confusion : |

Favorite Answer

If the gravel is dry, the bacteria is all dead anyway, rinse it under cold tap water and use it. It only still has beneficial bacteria if it's kept wet and fed(the bacterian needs ammonia to survive or it will starve).

That should be fine.Its actually better if the gravel is used, because it has some bacteria that's good for them left in it from the previous fish. =]

Source(s): My Fish that i use to have/research.

If there clay pots you valuable can! i became examining approximately it final night and it sounds like a lovable concept. Soak them in warm water, and get anacharis flowers. additionally soak the flower pots in vinegar, and rince it out with warm water after soaking in warm water. and dont use gravel, till your speaking approximately aquarium rocks... there could be micro organism in the airborne dirt and airborne dirt and dirt.

I had exactly the same problem and couldn't find the answer anywhere. Then a friend showed me the site below and I found exactly what I was looking for. I highly recommend it!!

Yes it should be safe; just make sure to thoroughly clean the rocks. You can use rock salt to help clean them too. :)

hope this helps!

yes it should be fine...the bacteria would help in the nitrogen cycle..