Mellissa asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

My bassett hound has a lump about the size of a ping pong ball. Should I get it removed?

I am not sure if the lump is cancer or just a cyst. I was out of work for a year and I just recently went back to work. I am not sure if it will be too expensive but I don't want my dog to be in danger either. He doesn't act like it hurts him at all when I touch it.

Best Answer

Only a Vet can diagnose what this lump is. If it turns out just to be a fatty tumor (Lipoma), just leave it alone. They are unsightly, but will cause no harm.

Have your vet look at it. He'll be able to tell wether it is a cyst or a tumor. Most of the time it's free just to get it looked at. (though some vets charge $40 for walking in the door...) If it's just a cyst, you have the option of leaving it or removing it.. If it's a tumor, he'll likely want to do a biopsy. (just removes a small tid bit to see what it is) If it's cancerous, you'll deffinately want it removed and then some. If it's just a benign fatty tumor, they'll give you the option of removal or leaving it be. my vet says removing fatty tumors only "cheese (he used a different word starting with P) it off" And that they usually just come back..bigger than the first time so it's better to just leave it alone. Regaurdless of what it is, you should deffinately see a vet.

Source(s): Vet tech student. Expericence w/ my dogs and vet
  • It could be a benign cyst like a lipoma, or it could be cancerous.

A lipoma isn't serious and I would just leave it if it were my dog. BUT only the vet can distinguish what it is. A vet appt is $30-$75...start from there and then see what treatment is required.

you need to find out what it is, if it is just a fat lump, you don't have to worry about having it removed, but it could be cancerous in which case it should be taken off. Only your vet can tell you the difference, take him in to get checked out.

The vet would be the one to make the decision as to whether it would be safer to get it removed or if its harmless and can stay. Nobody but a vet can answer this - after examining the dog.

Well you don't have to remove it unless its serious. Go to the vet and see if its cancerous and if it is your vet will advise you what to do. You should always get any lump checked.

my beagle bassett hound is going through the same exact thing. we are getting it removed. Its a Cyst but it might be bothering the pup so i'd go ahead and get it removed

Source(s): my dog

Get that dog to a vet, now. Worst case, you have to pay the vet to tell you its nothing. Best case, you're able to catch a potentially life-treatening issue before it gets out of hand, or worse, before it kills your dog.

dogs dont show sickness or that they are in pain. this is because in the wild packs, dog which are sick or show pain can be kicked out of the pack. I hope you receive this answer on your phone while sitting in the vet office... cuz that is where you should be. Have it looked at and treated.

Only a vet can make this decision, not a bunch of strangers online.