promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 10 years ago

Does passing a baby around a room increase the risk of it being infected?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If the baby is a newborn, it is a good idea to be careful who you let hold them. Newborns ( 0 - 4 weeks) still have a very low immunity and can not fight infections as well as adults can.

However, older babies can be passed around without a problem. Germs are actually good for older babies as it helps strengthen the immune system, not to mention the social skills of interacting with different people! Obviously you wouldnt deliberately let the baby be held by someone who is visibly sick, but everyday germs are fine.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

Being in a room full of people increases anyone's (adult or child) chances of catching certain infection, only because the more people there are the more likely they will come in to contact with someone who is ill. It is a day to day risk we all have to face.

Catching an infection, is a common occurrence, my daughter is 7 months old and has already had 2 "cold" type viruses, but although it makes her grumpy and it isn't very nice, they are not going to do her any long term harm, in fact they will help build her immunity :)

If you know of any seriously infectious people then obviously avoid them, but common illness are going to happen.

• cincin
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

Their immunity is not as developed as ours is. When my daughter was born, I had all visitors who 'had' to see her wash and sanitize their hands for the first few weeks. She's now 4 and I don't just pass her to people, especially strangers, you do not know what people have. a lot of diseases are airborne. So YES.

• 10 years ago

Absolutely!, different kind of person different type of germs, so to avoid your baby to be infected of some kind of bacteria, better wash there hands properly before holding the baby. i prefer to wash up to elbow section. second if the visitor or the father of the baby came from work better change also the clothes. "prevention is better than cure"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

yeah course it does..there are different germs everywhere

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.