? asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

What do you think of this Mark Twain quote about conservatives?

"The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.."

Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935

US humorist, novelist, short story author, & wit (1835 - 1910)

Favorite Answer

I prefer this Mark Twain quote about conservatives: “Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”

• Emily

What radicals Twain was talking about I don't know but when it comes to radicals there are both conservative and liberal radicals. Perhaps he was meanin reserved rather than conservative or meant conservative in the sense that one is less radical and therefore more subdued. Conservatives and liberals in a political spectrum sense can both be radical as well as progressive or somewhere in between.

I love mark twain. And that quote is true but some views the world is just not ready for yet and that's why they are radical.

He also said this...

Politicians are like diapers...they both need changing often and for the same reason" Mark Twain.

He is a american master

but so is woody allen

"Not only do I not deny the Holocaust [but] I think records are made to be broken."

it's true.but we deal in the one of our time.

Not much, as I am not much of a fan of Twain to begin with.

• Max

Great quote.

Global Warming. is a big lie dont fall for it

It happens.