? asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 9 years ago

whats air force TACP training like?

I'm just trying to get a feel for military jobs, and one i'm interested in is tactical air control party. so to who ever would know, whats the training like? how long/difficult is it? and whats the drop out rate? thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

It is a special ops job from what i understand. Dropout rate for any specop job is high. You must start preparing now.

Training

All TACP candidates attend a 75-day training course at Hurlburt Field, Florida, home of Air Force Special Operations Command.

ROMADs who have achieved a Combat Mission Ready status and completed associated Initial Qualification Training are sent to the Joint Terminal Attack Controller Qualification Courses held at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada Berlin, Germany, and Soissions France. Upon graduation and completion of subsequent Mission Qualification Training, they are evaluated to determine if they will receive JTAC status.

[edit] Indoctrination

All TACP candidates will now attend a 10 day long indoctrination course at Lackland AFB immediately following basic military training. The course is designed to educate candidates on the TACP career field and also to weed out any candidates not fit to continue on to the TACP schoolhouse.

[edit] Initial Training

Block I Basic Career Knowledge (5 Days)

Basic career knowledge and associated publications.[1]

Block II Portable Communications Equipment (20 Days)

Portable radio familiarization and training.

Block III Communications Pallet (11 Days)

Vehicle-mounted radio communications familiarization and training.

Block IV Ground Environment Training (20 Days)

Field training exercise, Day and night land navigation, vehicle navigation, convoy training, and small unit tactics. Also, including training in bivouac setup, site selection, patrolling methods, and day and night navigation on foot and in a vehicle.

Block V Air Support Coordination/Weapons Systems (5 Days)

Methods and means of requesting close air support, weapons effects and utilization, and other coordination procedures.

Block VI Close Air Support Procedures (12 Days)

Field training exercise, including close air support planning and execution. [2][3]

[edit] Advanced Training

United States Air Force Combat Survival School -- SERE Course—3 weeks, Fairchild AFB, Washington

United States Army Airborne School** -- Basic Parachutist Course—3 weeks, Fort Benning, Georgia

Special Tactics Advanced Skills Course -- 12 weeks, Hurlburt Field, Florida

Note: Some of these courses are unit dependent and may be selected.

Source(s): Wikipedia
    • Kit5 years agoReport

They are also able to attend US Army Ranger school.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I'm assuming you don't know how few people actually get in the USAF, as a result of downsizing way to much, the most I can help you with is to refer you to a army or navy career closely related to the one your interested in. Question is, can you swim?

Source(s): -NH
  • 9 years ago

Its real easy, a little 5 year old could get it done.

Source(s): Army Vet, 2nd Lt.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.