Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 9 years ago

Car dome light stays on after closing door, driving, and when the car is turned off?

I have a 2008 Chevy Impala SS and the dome light will not turn off no matter what I do so I just ended up pulling the bulb. Any ideas as to why it might be staying on? The interior light switch is off.

Best Answer

Sounds as a door switch is shot. If you have the switch located on or near the dome correctly set. My sons dome light on his Impala stays on for a while after parking his car and then goes out.

• shade

Car Ceiling Light

• Cliff

check to make sure you dash light dimmer is not set all the way to max on where the dome light is turned on.

does it turn off with override switch, the switch that makes it not come on when door opens?

if its off and off, and still is on, there is a short to power giving the bulb power when it shouldnt have it.

you can figure out what circuit its getting powered through fairly easily, although fixing it may be much more diffucult.

simply disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery, take a 12 volt DC test light, hook one end to neg battery terminal and the other to cable. if power is flowing light will be on, remove fuses one at a time until light goes off (replacing them as you go).

if the dimmer doesnt have it on, and the override overrides and shuts it off, then a door swtich is the problem.

I apologize for the issue you are having with your interior light. I would recommend taking the vehicle into your local GM dealership. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. If you have any other concerns, please feel free to email me. Thank you.

Caron, GM Customer Service