Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 9 years ago

Specific examples of Marijuana as a gateway drug?

I'm doing a paper on the effects and consequences of early marijuana use, and I want to use specific examples of heroin and coke addicts that started on Marijuana when they were 13/14/15. Do you know any specific examples? Or know of any place in which I can find specific examples?

I need something more along the lines of;

Anne Doe started smoking Marijuana at age 13, she began to use it more and more chronically until 17, in which she moved onto harder drugs, more specifically, crystal meth.

Favorite Answer

The only reason marijuana is ever a gateway drug is because they classify it together with hard drugs. I'll tell you what happened with me and my friends. We went through D.A.R.E. As kids and were taught all the stuff about how all drugs were horrible and would ruin your life. When we got to high school we started meeting kids who smoked pot and realized that they were actually fine. They still did well in school and had no problems caused by pot smoking, and they had fun when they were high. So we tried it, and liked it. Later when we were presented with opportunities to try other things we figured " hey, pot didn't hurt us, so they were probably bullshiting about the other drugs too." so we tried those. In my case, I just experimented and never got addicted to anything. Other kids I knew did end up with addictions. Some of them have cleaned themselves up and are fine now, other's still struggle and suffer with it, and more than a few have died. I really believe that if marijuana were not included in the same category as drugs that are actually dangerous less kids would have moved on to harder things. If they classified it with alcohol, for example, the only thing it would lead to is alcohol. If they made a clear separation between that and other things in the educational system, it wouldn't lead to anything. Write your story about how the kid smoked pot and had no negative consequences so she figured the other drugs would be okay too. That's realistically how it often happens.

Marijuana is not a gateway drug i started to smoke at 14 and now I'm 15 I only smoke 1 time out of the month and thats if i have money or a friend gives me some weed.i live a normal life and there's nothing wrong so tell your teacher that marijuana is not a gateway drug.people who say it is are just idiots. And i've never tried any other type of drug, because I'm not a dumb ***.

Source(s): personal experience.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): specific examples marijuana gateway drug: https://shortly.im/SMHKe

You're right there are deaths due to some "mind-altering" substances, however marijuana is not a clinically addictive drug, therefor it should not be addictive because there is no actual addictive substance in it. It's a plant and it seems kind of stupid to make a plant illegal, after all tobacco is legal. It has been proven it can cure some ailments. The only reason it is illegal is because it's considered a "drug" and in the modern dictionary, or at least the ones MADD uses, drugs are addictive sure to cause death and will ruin your life. I know many people who smoke pot, and they're normal. I think marijuana should be legal because there are worse on the legal market, and people do it anyway, illegality isn't helping.

If the government and these anti drug websites claim it is a gateway drug it is their own fault the way i look at it. Say Bob goes to his dealer to buy some weed, the dealer may offer him some harder drugs and this is how the majority of people start out on harder drugs. But if the government legalized already, Bob wouldn't have had to go to the dealer and just went to the store, thus eliminating the potentially dangerous dealer and the harmful drugs.

Source(s): myself
  • ?

420 has a valid point.

There is no definitive proof of the 'Gateway drug' theory when linking marijuana use to harder drugs.

In fact, you are more likely to find that many of those who get into harder drugs actually started out as either alcoholics, or party/binge drinkers (those who go out to pubs and clubs to specifically get as wasted as they can. They are more suggestible to 'nipping off to the bathroom to do a line'.)

The majority of pot smokers prefer to avoid drugs like cocaine, as cocaine is a stimulant, whereas marijuana is not. Pot smokers don't want to be jittery and aggressive. They want to be mellow, calm and sociable.

Source(s): Ex-pot head.
  • Someone beating up a drug dealer with a sack of marijuana for heroine.

A friend of a friend of a friend of mine became a crack head after smoking weed... But then again he drank alcohol before that, and went to church before that... Who can say which was the gateway?

Stop spreading bullsh*t. Crack heads will be crack heads, meth users will be Meth users, regardless of wether or not they smoke a plant.

I can't give you specific examples but the are studies out there that you can read for yourself.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/07/18/1981...

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1360-...

Source(s): that being said, I have used weed about 3 - 4 years. Never once have I done anything harder than weed and I have never wanted to. I have had only one cup of beer and that was before I started using weed. in my personal experience the gateway drug theory is BS and you can quote me on that in your essay (which you should because you should always mention opposing views and reasons why the are wrong)