Short field performance of a C-17?

While driving past a regional airport, I was surprised and delighted to see a C-17 Globemaster III on climbout. (There's an Army National Guard base at the airport.) The Boeing website states the takeoff roll of a C-17 as 7,600 feet at MTOW (and presumably at sea level with a moderate ambient temperature). ... show more While driving past a regional airport, I was surprised and delighted to see a C-17 Globemaster III on climbout. (There's an Army National Guard base at the airport.)

The Boeing website states the takeoff roll of a C-17 as 7,600 feet at MTOW (and presumably at sea level with a moderate ambient temperature). This airport has a 6,000 foot runway.

So, this bird couldn't have been at maximum take-off weight. I'm wondering just how much runway a more lightly loaded C-17 might need. Any informed opinions?

It was quite a sight to see!