Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsHome Theater · 9 years ago

What are the best DVD movies to watch on a surround sound home theater?

They have to be good movies with good soundtracks and music. Usually action movies and some concerts are good.

Best Answer

If you like the music of Jaws and Jaws 2, all six Star Wars movies, The Indian Jones series, and the Harry Potter series, then I recommend looking at any and all of the movies that John Williams wrote for.

Scan down to the Composer section

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002354/

I especially enjoy Empire of the Sun.

If you enjoy the music of Beetle Juice, the Batman Movies, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, Men in Black, and Spiderman, then I recommend checking out Danny Elfman's compositions.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000384/

Others I recommend by soundtrack are:

1. Psycho --Bernard Herrmann

2. James Bond Series-- John Barry wrote the James Bond Theme

3. The Omen -- Jerry Goldsmith (kinda scary, but the music is incredible)

4. Bed of Roses -- Michael Convertino (gasp, what is this non-blockbuster doing here? Listen to the music and find out!)

5. Braveheart -- James Horner

6. The Power of One -- Lebo M and Hans Zimmer BUT especially for Johnny Clegg's Concerto for the Southland

Bonus:

I don't remember the music, but Jurassic Park has great sound effects that are worth hearing in surround sound.

Enjoy!

The Matrix was the first movie I ever played on my surround sound. It did not disappoint. The most surprising movie to play on my surround sound that really made great use of all the speakers was South Park Bigger, Longer, Uncut. When Cartman picked up the machine gun and started spinning around firing off rounds, each shot went around the room on a different speaker. I was speechless. I felt like I was in the middle of the firefight. Other movies with background sounds like jungle movies caus emy cats to freak out when animal sounds come from every direction. Most modern movies are recorded to take full effect of surround sound systems. There really is no wrong answer. If a movie is interesting to you, it will be even better on surround sound.

• Vasso

Watch Free Movies Online

Since I don't know your taste in movies, I'll try to give some varied suggestions based on movies I've just seen. If you like musicals/stage productions: Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Phantom of the Opera'. WOW what a movie!!! And it has definitely got some music that your system could do justice to. If you like action/adventure: "National Treasure", was pretty darn good. It seemed to really utilize the movie score to heighten the viewing experience. If you like drama: "Crash" had a decent soundtrack, and was all around an excellent movie. If you like comedy: I just saw "Guess Who", and it was a hoot! I can only imagine that good sound quality would make certain scenes funnier. Also, a special edition of "9 to 5" just came out. That was a hilarious movie, and had a pretty nifty soundtrack/movie score. Hope this helps ya... It's Just My Opinion ;-}

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Star Wars (the older 3)

Pirates of the Caribbean (the 1st one has great music)

Not a movie, but the DVD of Celtic Woman at Slane Castle is breathtakingly beautiful with surround sound!

Some blue ray review sites let you sort movies by soundtrack.

Some classic favorites are "The Matrix", the opening chapter of "Toy Story 2", The Dark Knight, "Cars", The Pirates of the Carribean movies.

war of the worlds has alot of low bass... the chapter when the machine emerges,

u571 is a good one also

pearl harbor

9

stay away from matrix movies alot of background noise the entire movie

I can think of a few...

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

The Matrix

Top Gun

Both have lots of action and happenings outdoors and indoors.

1. Saving Private Ryan

2. 300

You simply cannot go wrong with these two!