What's the difference between "Paperback" and "Mass Market Paperback"?

I'm trying to buy a book off Amazon and it has these different formats. I'm caught between two, paperback and mass market paperback. What is the difference? If it means anything, I'm the type of person who, if faced between getting a paperback copy of a book or a hardcover copy, I'd take the hardcover because, simply put, it's better. So what's the difference between these two, and which one's "better"?

Favorite Answer

Paperback is a general term which includes both mass-market paperbacks--that's the small ones about 4 inches by 7 inches--and trade paperbacks, about 7 by 10 or so. (There's some variation.) Mass market often cost about $6.99 or $7.99. Trade paperbacks cost more, usually $13.99 - $16.99. They're somewhat easier to read, with a larger font, bigger gutters, and more widely-spaced lines, and are usually on better-quality paper which won't yellow as quickly as mass-market paper, and made with better glue so the pages stay put.

Hardcover is better quality paper, and of course the hard cover which protects the pages. It's often no easier on the eyes than trade paperback, though, and it costs substantially more.

Since I'm not hard on books, I usually opt for trade paperback unless it's a book I'm sure I want to own indefinitely and will probably reread many times. Then I go for hardcover.

Mass Market Paperback

If that's your line of thought, then get the paperback. They call it "mass market" because they produce more, which means to limit the costs of producing that many books, they skimp on the materials and use cheaper ones. That's why some paperback books fall apart quite easily, because the materials they are made from are of lower quality. Paperback books are still bendable and are usually taller and wider than mass market paperbacks and use better quality materials.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm trying to buy a book off Amazon and it has these different formats. I'm caught between two, paperback and mass market paperback. What is the difference? If it means anything, I'm the type of person who, if faced between getting a paperback copy of a book or a hardcover copy, I'd...

Source(s): 39 difference quot paperback quot quot mass market paperback quot: https://shortly.im/saeXs
  • Missy

Well, if you love hardcover, why not get that?

Mass market paperback usually uses cheaper material for the products. That's why it's sent to the masses. It should be cheaper than the paperbacks, because the normal paperbacks use higher quality material. There's not much difference, though. They both use paper binding.

Source(s): I'm a sixteen year old writer.

The book Mass Market paperback is selling, "Eckankar ancient wisdom for today" for $46.00 is given out for free at any local Eckankar center as well as www.eckankar.org Are they scamming people??