Just took in 2-3 week old kitten....need help with problem with fecal matter stuck to her tail :(?

someone found her in a parking lot...she was in a box with a towel and they needed someone to take her, so i decided it was my duty (having found 3 teeny babies in my yard 2 1/2 years ago and raised them all kept one and found homes for the other two..used the kitty formula until they were old enuff to wean and all... show more someone found her in a parking lot...she was in a box with a towel and they needed someone to take her, so i decided it was my duty (having found 3 teeny babies in my yard 2 1/2 years ago and raised them all kept one and found homes for the other two..used the kitty formula until they were old enuff to wean and all went well...SO, this new one's eyes are open, appears to have been well fed (not thin) and assumed only away from her mom within hours of the person having found her...so, she is eating the same kitty formula very nicely, only taking 1/2 a teaspoon to 1 teaspoon each feeding until she rejects it...have found that she is urinating on her own, but not defecating (that i have noticed) BUT the bigger problem is that when i brought her home i noticed that her tail from halfway down to the end seemed hard and matted...upon closer inspection, i assumed this to me dried fecal matter that the mother did not clean up...so, i decided to bathe her tail..well, that was not an easy feat as she put up a big fuss and i was really unable to get any of it loosened up enough to remove.....so, i thought i was doing her a favor and tugged at it and a strip of it AND and skin tore right away from the skin leaving about an inch long bare/raw spot where the dried clump was...this totally freaked me out, so i got out some triple anti-biotic ointment and slathered her entire tail with it...bandaging did not work, so i have left it uncovered and keep reapplying the salve about 4 times a day...the redness has gone from the spot, but its still raw and ugly but assume hair will grow back, yet the other stuck areas are still hard, but maybe the salve portion of the anti-b will help to soften it up in a couple of weeks or so, enough to wash off? does anyone know if what i am doing is good enough without the vet's intervention as i really do not have the money for south florida vets and i just wanted to help and now i am praying i did not do some terrible harm to her..she seems very well acclimated to me already and even my maltese who hangs out as she is sleeping in his bed (the only one basket with a high enuff side for her to not easily climb out of although i have twice found her on the floor when i woke up so she must have climbed and then fallen to the tile floor but shows no sign of injury...the fecal problem is the main thing now and is the anti-b good enough to keep infection from setting in since i did open the area when i pulled it off and the raw skin was uncovered...i pray this did not hurt her as she did not react and it did not bleed..it was sorta like what i imagine skinning to be like and i felt so bad...please help...my email is rapture4@bellsouth.net.. she has been with us for 1 1/2 days and appears to be thriving, so i hope someone has some good suggestions for me and little "ilsa" or "twitch" :)
thanx so much in advance,
Phyllis