Did the Pope really cover up the priest sex scandals?

Im a Catholic but i read this link on another question.This upsets me greatly.Did our Pope really do this?If true,this sends a message that the Church says "its no big deal" or that sex abuse isnt sex abuse and then victims feel double victimised,shame,like they are stupid for feeling like someone done... show more Im a Catholic but i read this link on another question.This upsets me greatly.Did our Pope really do this?If true,this sends a message that the Church says "its no big deal" or that sex abuse isnt sex abuse and then victims feel double victimised,shame,like they are stupid for feeling like someone done something bad againt them,they might question themselves and their mind might deceive them that it was their own faults,they might reason if Gods Holy men are saying im stupid for feeling this way then they must be right and i must be wrong,they might get hate,selfhate,feel abandonment ,suicide etc.
I cant believe this happened.This is something that i'd expect from a government maybe but not from Gods men.
It just reemphasises the importance that you shouldnt trust anyone too much and be naive.
Do people have no idea of the traumatic effects on peoples psych that it has on people when they are not believed?
You know,when i first read about these things what happened,I read a Catholic priest say "havnt people got over this yet?".
I was shocked and appalled to read that.Like he didnt care and belittled it like it was the victims fault and they should get over it and stop being 'trouble makers'.
I then reasoned,well if highest men of God are saying this,the Jesus too must think that cause they represent him cause he picked them so their minds must be closest to His.I then got it in my mind that Jesus was also thinking its no big deal and making the victims feel ashamed of themselves for thinking it was.I thought Jesus also thought that abuse wasnt abuse and that it was only the "secular"/worldly people who thought this was abuse.
So,i cried much tears about this and wondered who really is Jesus(His character)?
My sister told me that Jesus does not support this,that it is abuse,to not doubt my thoughts that it is abuse and not ok,and that we shouldnt look at man to find Christs character cause man is fallible even Gods men.
So,i tried to believe and trust what she was saying.
But it wasnt easy.One hand i had my sister(Catholic) saying it wasnt right.Other hand i heard many other Catholics online saying "its all the corrupt media" "media just wants to villify the Church" "why cant people just get over this" so i was very confused as to is this bad or is this really the 'victims' fault.
Thats what really upset me and cofused my mind-how other Catholics got angry at the mention of it and defended it.I cant undestand why anyone could do this any who has children I mean it is our Church,but the people are the Church and the children.Even when your young like me and dont have children,i still know i dont want them hurt externally or psychologically /emotionally.
I felt more faith again in humanity when i read the views of catholic psychologist Dr Thomas Plante whos views are similar to mine and my selfdoubts a bit lessened.
So..did the Pope really sign a letter refusing to defrock the preist that abused this man?Wouldnt this man have felt betrayed?
I know Cardinal Pell (my country) moved the priests around but i would not have expected such from from our Pope who i see as a kind,good man.
I'd understand if he did it cause of not having the full understanding/awareness of the effects of these situations have on a persons psych.Then i'd understand.But if he did it for another reason that would upset and confuse me.
Priests should also be suported and not deemed guilty without investigting but in the meantime shouldnt work near people.
I dont get though why victims want money cause what does money do.I just wish it all never happened.
Many great bishops are now doing much to ensure safety of childrens.
What is your opinion and what is your opinion on Thomas plantes opinions?

Please dont give angry answers though but go to another question if angry.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/24/sex-abuse-victim-learns-of-pope%E2%80%99s-role/?hpt=C1
http://www.psychwww.com/psyrelig/plante.html
http://www.secasa.com.au/index.php/survivors/4/233
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,6042767,00.html
http://www.nccbuscc.org/ocyp/charter.shtml
Update: I dont think its fair to suggest that the Pope is a pedophile cause he didnt do that stuff.
Update 2: It is weird though that the Baptist priest cases rarely got such reporting in the media.Is that cause of media bias or is that cause of God did that because Catholic Church is the true(in my opinions) Church so God was behind all this coming out so they Chruch would get purified? Some say media is bias to... show more It is weird though that the Baptist priest cases rarely got such reporting in the media.Is that cause of media bias or is that cause of God did that because Catholic Church is the true(in my opinions) Church so God was behind all this coming out so they Chruch would get purified?

Some say media is bias to Catholics but why would media prefer baptist over catholic-it doesnt make sense cause doesnt media just care about whatever stories will make the money?
Some of the media were moneyhungry opportunists that said cruel unfair things about the Church.But i think other of the media were just being a voice/advocate for the victims to say "what happened to you does matter and wasnt right".
Update 3: I wont vote best answer but leave it for YA vote cause there was too many good answers to pick one.
Update 4: Thankyou very much Cecile,Mara,Missmousie,John,Skepsis for your deep,well thought-out answers.