if a car bumps into another can it cause an outpouring bump on the other car?

when my husband turned off his car apparently it was in reverse and not park. Consequently it rolled and hit the car behind him. (my husband and the woman were in the dr's office at time of occurrence) At the time my husband and the woman could not find any damage, only an outpouching circle on the bumper. It appeared to be a perfectly round cirlce, sticking out from the car, not a dent into the car. no scratches near it. The woman said nothing about it. A few days later the woman called and said after talking to her husband she wants my husband to pay for it because it is a leased car. Now her story is that circle bump was never there before the car rolled into it, etc, etc. It will cost $400 to repair it. How can I prove or disprove if my husbands car caused this outpouching circle and not a dent into the car???

Favorite Answer

Though I've never worked on Personal Lines (Auto, Life, Health, Home) I am a Broker of Insurance--so while I'm an expert on Insurance, I'm not one on Auto, but will give my two cents here.

When someone makes a claim, you as the Insured actually are obligated by your policy NOT to settle the claim yourself or admit even the slightest degree of liability. The insurance company has no doubt written this into your policy. The insurance company has the right (and obligation) to either settle or defend. On the other hand, if this claim falls below the deductible, they might just say they have no duty to handle the claim at all unless it exceeds the deductible amount.

Also, in your favor, unless the police were called at the time of the accident and an official report was filed, and your respective insurance carriers were also notified per the Reporting Requirements of your policies, the other party has already nullified their ability to file the claim and you owe nothing--because they chose to not report the accident at the time of occurrence.

Bottom Line: They have no claim. It's too late for them (or you for that matter) to make a claim. If you suddenly realized you had some sort of physical injury and that it was due to the accident for instance--too late. If either of you figured out that though there was no visible damage on the outside of your vehicle but that the collission, say, bent the frame or body out of alignment--too late.

This is why, even for the slightest little bump, you should take the time to report an accident--unless of course both parties wish to waive any loss claims.

Even if the $400 amount is too small for your insurer to deal with because it falls below deductible, you should direct your question to your insurer for an authoritative answer.

ever heard of HIT AND RUN regulations? in case you collide with something on the line, a motor vehicle, a individual, a provide up sign. something that motives harm to supplies. you will desire to become conscious of your self in the past you circulate away the scene, and in maximum situations your license will the two be suspended or revoked in case you do no longer. And plus, insurance companies won't conceal the fee of your motor vehicle if it relatively is a fulfillment and run, you will desire to pay out of your individual pocket.

well with out a police report of video or w/e she cannot prove his car even hit her car at all

if something like that happens you should ALWAY call the police because sometimes it can worsen later.