What is your favorite yarn?

If you were making a hat or sweater and price was not an option, what would you choose?

What's the warmest, softest yarn you can think of it that is available fairly easily (online or through a local yarn shop).

• Miz T
    Favorite Answer

Cashmere for a sweater.

Debbie Bliss Pure Cashmere came in gorgeous colors and retailed for $70 per 100 g. Sadly, it has been discontinued. Plymouth's Royal Cashmere also comes in nice colors and retails for $76 per 100 g. It's currently available, as far as I know.

Some of the silk-cashmere blends are nice for sweaters or hats.

However, the softest, nicest hat I've touched was knit by a friend who bought "oppossum" yarn in New Zealand and the nicest, softest scarf I've touched was knit by that same friend of qiviut she bought in Alaska. I've picked up yarns in nearly every country I've visited, including gorgeous wool in Iceland and nice cashmere in China, and nothing I've encountered equals the qiviut and the oppossum yarns.

Being an avid knitter who just happens to be allergic to 'most any animal fibers, I have great experience with various brands of acrylic yarn. My all-time favorite is Red Heart Light & Lofty, a weight group 6 - super bulky. It knits up quickly, is deliciously soft, and goes through the washer and dryer (warm and medium) effortlessly. It lasts for years and even reblocks itself when machine washed and dried! Oddly enough, it can be hard to find. I recommend shopping online to get the best selection for this yarn. The same yarn comes in three different color classifications, each of which has its own label: Light & Lofty, Bright & Lofty, and Baby Clouds.

Coming in a close second is Michaels stores' Loops & Threads Country Loom. It's also a 6 super-bulky. I've only used it a couple of times, but it handle really well and says it's machine washable. I haven't tried yet.

Both of these are in the $3.- to $5.- range per skein. The skeins are about 100 yards long and weigh 4 to 6 ounces.

Lion Brand Jiffy Thick & Quick yarn, works up nicely and I love touching it. Very very soft and cuddly.

cashmere.

alpaca.

quivuit

all really soft. all really expensive - well the alpaca not so much as the others.