Jack S asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between using "il faut que" and "devoir"?

what is the difference between using "il faut que" and the verb "devoir" in french?

like if i said i have to do my homework what would be the difference?

Il faut que je fasse mes devoirs.

OR

Je dois faire mes devoirs?

• Orla
    Favorite Answer

«Il faut que je...» uses must in English "I must..."

«Je dois» is more personal but means the same, "I have to"

The difference is the first sentence is more impersonal, and the latter one more personal. If you prefer, sentence number one is an order that I have no choice but to do or to carry out. Sentence number two is more personal it requires me to choose or at least to be involved: I still have to do something, but it is less impersonal and more like a choice.

For instance: «Il faut que je fasse mes devoirs tous les jours.» "I must do my homework everyday." But I may not feel like it at all. I don't have a choice because it is not up to me.

and «Cette année, j'e devrais faire mes devoirs tous les jours.» In this situation, I took on myself to do my homework as a new resolution for the new year. I decided to do it, meaning: I have to do my homework everyday from now on.

Source(s): French natives speaker and bilingual.

for me, that means the same with a different level, like in english. i think that "have to do" is less an obligation than "must do" :

il faut que je fasse mes devoirs : i have to do my homework

je dois faire mes devoirs : i must do my homework. (we know there will be a bad consequence if we don't do it.

Source(s): french native speaker