Motorcycles vrs cars?

I am thinking that driving a motorcycle would be cheaper than driving car.

but the insurance might be allot higher. I don't need anything fancy, just a bike to get me from here to there.

Considering insurance and what kind of bike, would it really be cheaper and better for me to buy a motorcycle than buy a car? Im under 25 and Ive never had a car before and no accidents or anything.

• Gleba
    Favorite Answer

Motorcycles get about 60mpg. Way more fuel efficient.

You can get a wonderful used bike in great condition for $3,000. You could shop around and get a "good enough" for "here to there" without a lot of bells & whistles for $2,000 no problem. Maintenance will be minimal on a lot of models (though there is some and more frequent than cars), and much you can learn to do yourself (oil change, filter change).

Insurance will be much cheaper for a motorcycle. You don't say where you live, but if you are required to have liability insurance, you might pay around $300 a year. Comprehensive & Collision might double or triple that depending on the bike you buy. Why so cheap? Think about it: liability insurance is for the damage you do to other vehicles. In an accident, a motorcycle might *get harmed* significantly but won't *cause* nearly as much damage as a sedan, SUV, or 18-wheeler!

But of course motorcycling isn't for everyone. For a couple hundred dollars you can take the MSF course which teaches you how to ride from the beginning. If you pass the test at the end of the course you'll have your motorcycle endorsement. They supply the bikes and helmets, so it's no commitment on your part if it turns out to not be your thing.

• Carl S

Gleba nailed it with his answer. I suggest you pick his for best. But to re-itterate.

1. Motorcycle insurance is cheap - I pay $226/year (but half the year it's winter here so probably would be a bit higher in a warmer state).

2. Gas is cheap - even harleys get 40+mpg, most motorcycles can get 50, some achineve higher.

3. A new "jap bike" is usually around $6,000-$12,000, harleys are typically more expensive $15,000+

4. Used bikes (that are reliable) can be puchased anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000 dpeneing on engine size, mileage, and year. a 2005 suzuki boulevard (which I have) could be like $4500 and covers all the bases.

5. For self transportation only... other post is also correct. Can't take groceries or garbage anywhere, limited to side-bags and backpack. (or small trailer if you invest in one). Great for commuting, but not so great for taking your friends out to dinner on Friday night.

6. Motorcycle safety course is ABSOLUTELY worth the investment. It's fun, you'll learn a lot, and in just 1 weekend you may decide if a motorcycle is right / wrong for you.

In short

Versatility: CAR > MOTORCYCLE

Minimizing Costs: MOTORCYCLE > CAR

Excitement: MOTORCYCLE > CAR

Safety: CAR > MOTORCYCLE

Weather Restrictions: CAR > MOTORCYCLE

A bike is A LOT cheaper than a car in both price and insurance.

Eventually your insurance for a bike will be virtually nothing, especially as you're female.

while MC are great fun to have one as only transport??/no way

1 it rains,,,gets cold

2 limited carrying,,,try taking trash to dump,,,groceries from store,,,dog to vet

3 danger,,,when my liver and kidney went bad we called spring "transplant season" LOL ive had my young motorcyclist liver and kidney for 7 yrs,,,working great