Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 9 years ago

Idiom Question: What does "run with that" mean?

a celebrity said that " I have a crush on you"

the second celebrity said "uh-oh, now they'll run with that"

the first celebrity said "oh yeah, now everythings ruined"

what does "run with that" mean?

I haven't heard this before...

Im not even sure if its an idiom

• Gary B
    Favorite Answer

Yes, I'd call it an idiom, since you can't determine the meaning despite understanding the words and the grammar.

To run with something is to proceed as if the something were true, usually taking it as far as possible, sometimes in spite of contradictory evidence.

In your example, the "they" in question are likely the tabloids, which might publish gossip concerning the inevitable course of that infatuation taken to its (not exactly logical) conclusion. The celebrities, while still casual friends, could first discover their bitter breakup and ensuing custody battles by glancing at headlines in the supermarket.

I'm going to agree with the first poster. It means to go along with an idea and in your particular case, as it refers to celebrities, I think the reference would mean that the press is going to buy into and promote the idea of the two being together in a relationship and publicize it. The final comment, "oh yeah, now everything's ruined" is suggesting that the relationship between the two will no longer be private (due to attention from the press).

• Upward

Yes, it's an idiom. This saying means that once someone finds out something (in this case that I have a crush on you) then they will tell someone else and then they will tell 15 other people, then everyone in the world will know it by tomorrow. Once the media gets a hold of something, they run with it or broadcast it for everyone to know.

It is an idiom. "Run with it" means "go with it". In this context, it most likely means that the media will publish that celebrity #1 is dating celebrity #2. It's sort of like getting carried away with something. It could also be used in a less "rumor spreading" context. Such as: "I feel like getting McDonald's for lunch." "Okay, run with that."

Hope this helps!

Here's my answer, for what it's worth:

Definition #1: People naturally love rumors. If it's a really good rumor, they'll waste no time trying to share it with everyone they know. They will "run" from door-to-door, person to person - or "run" to their Twitter page to share it with the world. That's one definition of "run with that."

Definition #2: Sometimes people (or situations) put imaginary "weights" on our shoulders that call our courage into question. Sometimes these imagined "weights" are very heavy - and someone will ask "Can you run with that?" It's a figurative question but it means to ask if a person has enough courage to carry that "weight."

Source(s): Experience.
  • holly

The media will make a big deal out of it.

An idiom is a phrase that says one thing but means something else.

examples... "it's raining cats and dogs," "she's the living end," or "kick the bucket"

• c c

Three meanings:

a newspaper or magazine or other news organization will 'run' that story in their next edition.

or

it could mean "let's explore that idea and delve deeper into what it means."

or

"Yeah, that's a good idea. Let's follow that course of action."

By the context, I would guess it is the first and second definitions.

it merely means to pursue an idea or course of action