What does "don't let your ego get in the way of your progress" mean in the Martial Arts?

I've seen and heard the above quote, or some variation of it, many times. It makes perfect sense to those who have trained to advanced levels and also to the teachers, but I don't often hear an actual explanation of what that statement means when some one says it. They just say it and expect the novice to... show more I've seen and heard the above quote, or some variation of it, many times. It makes perfect sense to those who have trained to advanced levels and also to the teachers, but I don't often hear an actual explanation of what that statement means when some one says it. They just say it and expect the novice to understand the statement. Is that fair?

What does "don't let your ego get in the way of your progress" mean to you?

P.S. I was inactive for quite a while because of a medical issue. I have fluid around my heart and apparently it happened for no reason since all the diagnostic tests say there's no reason for it to have happened. But, I've been getting better and the fluid has been shrinking. It's a medical mystery to the western doctors. I haven't asked any of my eastern medicine friends about possible causes yet.
Update: I decided to do a definition tree of the word "ego" as it's used in this context... Ego - noun 3) egotism; conceit; self-importance: Her ego becomes more unbearable each day. Egotism - –noun 1. excessive and objectionable reference to oneself in conversation or writing; conceit;... show more I decided to do a definition tree of the word "ego" as it's used in this context...

Ego - noun
3) egotism; conceit; self-importance: Her ego becomes more unbearable each day.

Egotism - –noun
1. excessive and objectionable reference to oneself in conversation or writing; conceit; boastfulness.
2. selfishness; self-centeredness; egoism.

Conceit - –noun
1. an excessively favorable opinion of one's own ability, importance, wit, etc.

Egoism -
–noun
1. the habit of valuing everything only in reference to one's personal interest; selfishness ( opposed to altruism).

Selfish(ness) -
–adjective
1. devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
2. characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives.