Sheila asked in HealthDental · 10 years ago

What good foods can i eat with braces?

and since halloween is comin what kinds of CANDY can i eat. and CHOCOLATE.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Can I Eat Candy with Braces?

Braces and candy are like oil and water – they simply don’t mix. In fact, avoiding candy is the number one piece of advice your orthodontist will give you when you are first fitted with your braces.

Not all candies may be harmful for those with braces. However, you must absolutely avoid eating chewy caramels. Chewy candies are the biggest enemy of braces. Pieces of chewy toffee can easily get stuck in between braces, and be extremely hard to remove.

Also avoid frozen candy bars that are hard to bite. Biting hard on candy poses a risk of your braces breaking off. This will require an emergency trip to the orthodontist to fix the broken braces.

Also avoid Tootsie Rolls, Candy Canes, Gummy Bears, and Fruit Roll Ups.

Hard candies may be fine if you only plan to suck on them, but if you end up biting the candy by mistake, your braces might be damaged.

Avoid candies with nuts that you have to bite. As long as you avoid chewy, hard or sticky candies and gums, you should be fine.

Also avoid chewing gum and bubblegum. Gumballs and candy corn are strictly forbidden for those who wear braces. Soft chocolate however, may be fine.

When you eat candy, your teeth may also suffer from the acids that eating candy creates. In fact, dentists recommend drinking plenty of water and milk to neutralize the effects of these acids.

Chew some sugarless gum. This is actually good for you because it can stimulate the production of saliva, which can be beneficial for teeth. Saliva helps to wash off food debris that’s left behind on the teeth and in between braces. However, it’s important that you chew only on sugarless gum. Gum containing sugar will only lead to sugars and acids being deposited on your teeth, increasing the possibility of decay and cavities.

Besides candy, you may also be required to stop eating peanuts or any kinds of nuts, pretzels, popcorn, corn on the cob and ice.

Going without many of your favorite candies is one of the sacrifices that you will be required to make in order to see that perfect smile.

From http://www.bracesreview.com/can-i-eat-candy-with-b...

• Login to reply the answers
  • John
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Chocolate bars are best for braces.

According to this article it melts off the teeth easiest, and contains a natural substance that kills harmful tooth bacteria.

In addition chocolate has many health benefits:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/410506/wh...

• 10 years ago

you can eat almost every kind of candy other than anything chewy that can get stuck in your braces like carmel, Tootsie rolls, sugar daddy (you can suck on the last to)

i hope that helped

Source(s): i have braces
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.