promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

The conviction against Alaskan Senator Ted Stevens has been dismissed.?

Stevens was convicted just prior to the election last year and is likely the reason he lost. Now it turns out that the government withheld evidence and may have in fact manufactured evidence. I freely admit that I don't like Eric Holder but this would seem to be to his credit. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong about him.

Although Stevens has now been acquitted is this sufficient justice for the misconduct of the prosecutors?

I have always been suspicious of the timing on his trial and can't help but think there's still more to it. Agree, disagree.

Is this conduct in any way related to the barrage of accusations against Sarah Palin?

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/04/01/politics/p...

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The timing cost Stevens his seat:

If the charges had been thrown out before the election, Mr. McConnell said in an interview, “Ted Stevens would still be in the Senate.”

“It literally cost us a seat,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/us/politics/02st...

Will the judge refer Ms. Morris to the State Bar for disciplinary proceedings? If not, why not?

http://federalism.typepad.com/crime_federalism/200...

Hopefully other federal judges are paying attention.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • kennan
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

He has not been acquitted, his conviction has been pushed aside. that's certainly a great distinction. Acquittal can purely come from a jury. The dismissal of his conviction states not that he develop into harmless of the expenditures, yet that the prosecution broke the regulations of the courtroom of their prosecution. such diverse human beings in contact for that reason have pleaded responsible or been convicted that i'm particular Stevens develop into responsible. even even with the incontrovertible fact that, if the prosecution can not make that case then the guy might desire to have been released. The "barrage" against Sarah Palin is a state count; Stevens develop into federal.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

It wasn't political. It was simply incompetent federal prosecutors.

It’s clear that Sen. Stevens received unpaid home renovation help and other gifts from a powerful lobbyist and patron who has since pleaded guilty to bribing state legislators. What’s not clear is whether Stevens in fact broke federal disclosure laws."

Strange that you can receive bribes, kickbacks and payola but still not break any laws. Politics is a great place for the criminal mind.

• 10 years ago

There was no conviction!.

The charges were dropped

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

This is old news.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Probably because he died in a plane crash.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Could it be because he's dead???

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.