L
Lv 4
L asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between an em-dash and an en-dash? Grammar experts badly needed?

Below are examples if an em-dash and en-dash. They seem to be used in the same concept--like so (what I just did). But I think that some authors use en-dashes instead of em-dashes; either that or it's the font. So does it matter which you use?

En-dash:

Bob looked around in wonder -- not bothering to pay attention to Charlie -- and sighed.

Em-dash:

Bob looked around in wonder--not bothering to listen to Charlie--and sighed.

Help very appreciated. Thanks!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Forget the en dash—its uses are technical, and there is nothing you can't do with a hyphen or an em dash. You would need to refer to a stylebook to use en dashes. That's more the editor's job. The en dash is not used as sentence punctuation; that's the em dash.

When we type in here, most people use only the keys on their keyboard. You can simulate an em dash with three hyphens---like that---with no spaces. If you must use an en dash, you can simulate that with two hyphens. One use of the en dash is to denote ranges and scores, as a substitute for the word "to": Write the numbers 10--20 in French. The Rangers were ahead 3--2.

The dashes are also available in Character Map in Windows and as ALT codes. I have memorized the code for em dash, 0151, because it is a major mark of punctuation and a dismal omission from the standard keyboard. If you hover on the en dash in Character Map, it will show you the code for that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.