Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 1 decade ago

Drumming question: left handed but right footed?

I am a beginner with the drum... I am left handed, play drums open handed (which, by the way, is it acceptable to do that?) and use my right foot with the pedal. It's the way I feel most comfortable. Are there any advantages? Does anyone else recommend anything or play the same way I do?

Favorite Answer

YES. do it. set up your kit right handed and dont cross your arms. my second favorite drummer Carter Beauford plays that way for Dave Matthews Band. he rocks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edLhkzAynY4

Youtube thumbnail

I play left handed. I would recomend not using open hand but if it feels comfortable do it. it also depends on what music your play. I never use the hi-hat pedal so i could use either foot fot the bass. but I also use a double pedal. Just make sure you cross your arms and have the hand you are using to hit the hi-hat on top and go from there. Youll learn different ways and adapt as you play.

Source(s): Drummer for 9 years