Not passing a fetal non stress test ?

On Monday, the non stress test I took was considered "not passing." The last two days I have been in and out of the hospital with more test. None of the test are great, but they start as not passing and get a little better. I go to my high risk dr today, but wanted to see if anyone else has ever not passed a fetal non stress test and what happened. I am 34 weeks today.

Best Answer

When I failed the NST I had to do the actual stress test - they place a butterfly IV in your hand and start a minute amount of Pitocin to see how the fetus will react under those conditions - I failed that and had to be induced

I am 36 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. I, too, have to have regularly scheduled non-stress tests because of my age (I'm 37). I had my first one last week, and the baby was not cooperative! She's usually active, but, of course, at test time she was asleep! The nurses were great...they were able to put gentle pressure on my belly to get her to respond...they also used a small device on my belly which made a loud noise to stimulate her enough so that they could record movements (this little horn does NO damage to the baby). I had to stay at the hospital until she had three "big" movements within 10 minutes. It also diagnoses any contractions you may or may not be feeling. The kick-count is a little easier. Once the baby was "awakened", I just had to press the kick-count button each time I felt a movement. So, don't worry. If Baby is asleep, they should be able to get her moving for you! Good luck & God Bless!